Stuck Chocolate Cherry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegionRat

Reaction score
I have 5 gal Chocolate Cherry wine I stated. Ferment was going great till I racked to secondary. I racked at 1.016. It the stopped fermenting. I followed Jack Keller's method and pitched yeast in 1/2c must with 1/2c warm water along with nutrient in a 1quart ball jar. When I got a good ferment going I poured the mixture into the secondary and it restarted only to stop at 1.010.

That is where it sits now.

I was wondering if the coco power in the must would change the sg readings. Making it still read that there is suger in the mix but there really is not.

RR

Did you transfer over all the sediment? It shouldn't have stopped abruptly if you did. Plus what was your starting gravity and which yeast did you use

Did you transfer over all the sediment? It shouldn't have stopped abruptly if you did. Plus what was your starting gravity and which yeast did you use

I did not transfer all sediment, sg was 1.085 with EC1118 yeast.

RR

Great yeast but you needed to transfer all. It ads flavor and viable yeast. There should be enough in suspension to get it going again. If no activity after a day pitch another yeast pack in it

Thanks steve. I will pitch yeast one more time.

If I can not get it started what options would I have? Can I stabilize it, sulfite it, let it clear, age it then fortify it?

I would hate to just dump it out.

RR

It will take off. You really should wait till it gets around 1.00 before racking and in fact you don't have to do that.

People rack due to the fact the CO2 coming from the yeast is dropping. Less protection from O2. If you ferment in a bucket at 1.000 add a teaspoon of super ferment or yeast nutrient if you don't have any, stir well and snap on a lid with an airlock.

(3/8's hole and a #2 bung)

Your wine will be protected and you should be able to rack to clear in 3 days. Less work and same results.

Yeast need O2. By racking too early you deplete the supply of O2 they need and you could run the risk of stressing the yeast. That will lead to other difficulties.

Patience. You will be fine.

I so want to make this. Is it as messy and a pain in the butt as they say. Besides your stuck fermentation problem lol

I so want to make this. Is it as messy and a pain in the butt as they say. Besides your stuck fermentation problem lol

I'll tell you it is not like anything I have made in the past. I was looking for something to do with 20# of cherries. I came across a Strawberry Chocolate recipe and just used cherries instead. I used 1# Dutch processed coco.

I could see how it could be messy. I just took my time and watched out for drips. I was glad I used a 7gal primary. While in primary it would foam up like a soufflé. I did put a blow-off tube in it thinking it might overflow. The 'coco cap' didnt make it quite that high.

I really hope I can save this...

RR

Last edited by a moderator:
I have it under airlock in a carboy. I just pitched a started. Should I move it back to primary bucket?

RR

I have it under airlock in a carboy. I just pitched a started. Should I move it back to primary bucket?

RR
Since you said you racked off the chocolate lees already and since you are at 1.010 you should not see the explosive foamy chocolate fudge cap that you saw during early days of ferment, so a carboy should be fine--though I'd be more inclined to allow access to oxygen until you have confirmed batch ferment. When did you initially pitch the yeast, and repitch #1?

Last edited:
I hear from everyone who has ever made it "I wont be making this again" then they taste it. the years dull the memory of what a pain in the butt it was and they make it again and it gos round and round :) Im making it but I think I will try the choc extract when ever I find where to get that. that of coco

The extract I got from a local mom and pop grocery store. Plan on a bottle per gallon. I think it was 3.00 a btl.

Since you said you racked off the chocolate lees already and since you are at 1.010 you should not see the explosive foamy chocolate fudge cap that you saw during early days of ferment, so a carboy should be fine--though I'd be more inclined to allow access to oxygen until you have confirmed batch ferment. When did you initially pitch the yeast, and repitch #1?

I pitched yeast on 8-7. I didn't make note of the day I racked to secondary. I would say 8-12 though. Pitched starter 8-14, give of take a day or so.

I hear from everyone who has ever made it "I wont be making this again" then they taste it. the years dull the memory of what a pain in the butt it was and they make it again and it gos round and round :) Im making it but I think I will try the choc extract when ever I find where to get that. that of coco

Tess,
I buy extracts from Olivenation.com. All their stuff their organic. I use their apple extract in my hard cider. They do have a chocolate extract. It is kinda pricey though. I would not say it is a pain in the butt using powder. It is just a little different. I would do it again.

Okay, here is where I sit. I made a starter 2 days ago with a cup of water, a little bit of sugar, nutrient and ec1118. When the starter was going good I introduced a couple cups of must, 1/2c at a time, over a few hrs. Took airlock off carboy and used a drill and whipped up the must real good. Pitched the started and replaced the airlock. It started to ferment then stopped a few hrs later.

On a hunch I poured in a cup of sugar into the carboy and the ferment started up like crazy. Hmmm, I then put in 3 more cups of sugar. When I checked it this morning it was bubbling away like crazy. I am going to figure out how much more sugar to add to get ABV up to 18 or so.

I am convinced the suspended coco power changed the density of the must giving me a false sg reading. I am going to figure out the amount of coco powder that would be in a pint of water and see what the sg is. I'll report back.

RR

Last edited:
OliveNation's Star Kay White chocolate extract is outstanding stuff. I use it in my kitchen.

I just realized, yes--if you have any solids in the solution you are trying to take a SG reading on the result will be impacted. Just like having fruit solids in solution.

Last edited:
Update

I just did the math on 16oz cocoa power in 5 gal of water. works out to .8oz in one quart. Mixed up a batch in the blender and took sg reading.... Drum roll..... The sg of the solution was 1.006. Right where I thought it had stuck.

I think in the future I am gonna take sg and correct sugar before I add cocoa. Take sg again after addition of coco so I know how much it raises it.

When I racked at 1.010 it was really around 1.004.

Any way, it is still bubbling away after yesterdays addition of sugar. I think I am going to add sugar, one cup at a time, till it will not take any more. I think it should top off around 18%.

RR

Back