strawberry wine, high SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smikes

Reaction score
Started a 3 Gal batch of Strawberry wine for the women in our hangout group, found this reciepe: 3 lbs stawberry per gal. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
1/2 lb chopped golden raisens pg.
2 1/2 lbs lt brown suger pg.
2 tsp citric acid pg
1/4 tsp grape tannin
Lavin K1-1116 Montepellier

I deviated this way:
1 lb golden raisen pg
6 lbs lt brn sugar
3 lbs granulated suger
2 tsp acid blend +1 per titrate test

Specific gravity was 1.150

Yeast added 24 hous after must sulfited. I want this on the sweet side so I hope to stop fermentation at about 1.03.My sg seems unbelievably high as I didn't add much extra sugar( unless the granulater has more punch than the brn)

Does this sound like it will come down from that high with out sacrificing berry aroma and taste?

That is a very high starting SG and it will finish out with a very high abv. The flavor will be hidden for some time under a harshness due to the high SG. You added 1.5 lbs of extra sugar if that recipe was designed for a 1 gallon batch. I and many others hate the other recipes that are on sites that start with high abv's especially for delicate fruit wines. My best guess with the high SG and high tolerance for alcohol yeast choice is a wine which will kill off the yeast with a SG of around 1.015 and an abv of around 17.75%. We like to start with an SG of around 1.085, ferment dry and sweeten back as you can get a decent abv and and adjust the sweetness afterwards. Starting off with a high SG is risky as it might overcome the yeast or not ferment dry enough and end up with a sweeter wine then desired and you wont be able to drink it for 1 1/2-2 years cause of harshness. What is the SG now as Id like to see this wine made in to a bigger batch with no more sugar added to lower the abv.

Yeah. I thought about more stawberry and water. Mabey another 3 lbs and a gallon mabey work at the start of secondary F. Should ferment enough and still keep sweetness and aroma .....and flavor?

Did you use pectic enzyme as I dont see that mentioned. I would introduce the added ingredients as soon as possible as you will want to rack off the dead fruit in there soon. Maybe some yeast nutrient also.

Pectic enzymes and yeast nutrient used..I am going for the extra strawberrys and water today,fermenting really only started 24 hours ago.

Latest posts

Back