Storage and Aging Considerations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&GB

Reaction score
Okay, I've started five batches of wine since October and I'm considering another. But it's time to face reality.

(I understand that, taken in small doses, reality isn't all that painful).
smiley36.gif

I have nowhere to put this stuff come summer!!!
smiley3.gif
The summers in Yuma are very hot, (120sF)
smiley5.gif
and my house thermostat stays set on 80F. I really have no choice but to move my carboys into a closet and let the wines endure the indoor temp.

I would appreciate some feedback on how this will affect the wine. I think I read somewhere that it will simply age faster.I have no plans to bottle most of our wine until fall.Edited by: K&GB

I would search through the house and find a spot where the cold air duct is closes to a closet and farthest from a thermostat. This spot will likely be a bit cooler than the house in general and will keep it just a bit cooler.

Don't worry too much about it being warmer for storage. Just keep in mind you won't be able to age it for 5 years before consuming. That shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks Appleman. I feel better. Ordered some solid stoppers for the carboys, and I'll probably move 'em in out of the garage in March when the weather starts to warm up. And you're right. Not aging for 5 years won't be a problem...
smiley36.gif

MORE than likely your cold air ducts are pertty wellinsulated if not they should be ,in that case just do the best you can,find the coolest room that you can use and thats were they land
smiley9.gif

Ken, I have been thinking of storage also, as I am in southern AZ.
We definitely don't have a cellar and my bottled wine is staying cool in a closet right now.
But we set the A/C to around 78 degrees in the summer as it is 100 degrees here.

I guess we will have to have alot of BBQ's and excuses to drink this up in 5 yrs or less. haha
smiley36.gif

uavwmn said:
Ken, I have been thinking of storage also, as I am in southern AZ.
We definitely don't have a cellar and my bottled wine is staying cool in a closet right now.
But we set the A/C to around 78 degrees in the summer as it is 100 degrees here.

I guess we will have to have alot of BBQ's and excuses to drink this up in 5 yrs or less. haha
smiley36.gif

Sounds like a plan! How's that amarone coming?Edited by: K&GB

K & GB,
At that rate you will have 20 wines by fall. Better get a bigger closet!

I have had a similar start although high temps are not my issue. Space is. I'll start my 15 th this week in9 1/2months! Got a lot of info from this forum.

Latest posts

Back