Stopping lateral movement

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winehaus

Haus Leader
Reaction score
I have been trying to decide what is the best way to stop lateral movement by trained vines. I don't like the look of bamboo in the vineyard and they sometimes slide down too. Agties seem to slide around quite a bit and I worry about girdling from the rubber band ties. Branch ties are enticing but rather expensive for a large number of vines. What is everyone's favorite method or tool to keep vines vertical and straight?

I tried mine with bamboo stakes, but they only work the first or second year. I think regular "grape-stakes" are what's needed. Once the vines get about an inch thick, there's little "training" to be done if they are twisted - and some of mine are, from not getting something more substantial than the bamboo... good luck.

I use 5 foot bamboo about a foot into the ground. I then tie twine between the middle and top wire to train the vine up. I use the rubber band type heavy branch lock types and yes they are expensive- over $100 for 4000 of the bands. To keep the bamboo from sliding, use those band ties double wrapped around the bamboo and wire. That keeps the bamboo from sliding.

Latest posts

Back