Still bubbling like crazy after a week

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djboocher

Junior
Reaction score
My primary fermenter is still bubbling every 2-3 seconds after a week. My directions stated for me to transfer into the carboy after 1 week.

What should/do I do here?

Simple answer: wait. But a little more info will help us provide better guidance.

What is your SG measuring? Does your wine include fresh fruit or a grape/skin pack?

I agree with Boatboy24. Lower temperatures will prolong fermentation times. Your hydrometer s.g. readings are a better indicator of when to proceed to the next step. The only caveat to that, in my limited experience, has been in dealing with kits in which there is a sugar addition during fermentation (like WE Chocolate Raspberry Port, for example, that I have made twice). Those should still be perking pretty well when you add the sugar. I let one go just a little longer in primary, and the fermentation stuck when I added he sugar.

Still bubbling after a week is not necessarily a bad thing. The times given are only for reference. The real determinant is the SG reading.

You need to tell us what wine you are making, if it from a kit, and what the SG reading is.

Back