Mosti Mondiale Starting Gravity of La Bodega Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfwwino

Reaction score
I started the La Bodega Port kit and the starting gravity is 1.100, which will yield about 14% alcohol. The instructions state the kit will finish at about 16% alcohol without fortification. Am I correct in assuming that the package of raisins will raise the sugar content sufficiently to achieve 16% alcohol or do I need to add sugar? For those who have made this kit, what was your SG?

I also noted that the kit instructions said to wait until fermentation started in about 24 hours after adding the yeast before also adding the raisins. However, an instruction sheet with the raisins said to add them after pouring in the yeast, which I would have thought would be the procedure.

Are others placing the raisins in a nylon bag before adding them to the must, or waiting until fermentation is over to skoop them into a nylon bag at that point and squeeze/press them by hand?

I have a similar experience with the Masters Amarone. The starting SpG was only about 1.090 and the final alcohol content is stated as 14.5%. I was wondering how much the raisins would add to the final ABV. I wrote MM an email (weeks ago), but have not heard back from them.
It is a little frustrating to me, because I like to put the estimated ABV on my labels and tracking sheet, but don't know how to figure these!

By the way - I just scoop out the floating raisins before racking and place them in a nylon bag and squeeze the heck out of them to get that extra 1/2 cup of juice.Edited by: maize

I'm a newbie and so what I know is limited. My LaBodega started with a SG reading of 1.104 so that is in line with what you have. I too am curious about the final alcohol content. I can say that the taste I did recently tells me that the figures I get for what the alcohol should be and what my tastes tell me don't add up. It seems to have more kick than what the readings add up to. But as a newbie I really don't know.
smiley5.gif

I took George's advice and used a strainer to scoop out the raisins. I had all floaters except for 3 that sunk. I don't think I'd worry about bagging them.Edited by: A62Rambler

I spoke to George this afternoon. He confirmed that the raisins add the extra sugar needed to obtain 16%/

dont worry, just add some brandy and/or everclear to boost the alcool level up!
i think this port kit is the best out there and the simplest.

i think the WE port is more complicated, you must add sugar and sometime you stuck the fermentation...

I suggest all to make 2 kits in a 23L carboy and crank up the alcool with 94% pure alcool
smiley20.gif

You will also end up with 2 or 3 bottle of DRY PORT since you must take off some wine to add the Fpack so use this "Dry port" to top up some amarone or other big red thsi gives a nice Bang to the wine.
i did that with my Cellarcraft Amarone i just cant beleive it!

or it's also very good DRY taste like some big commercial amarone.
anypone tried one sample of unsweetened port?

Thanks for the input.I added the raisins tonight without the bag and will strain them later. The fermentation is robust and underway. I will have to use 2 liters of dry port to top up other wines as you suggest David.

Latest posts

Back