WineXpert Starting a Winexpert Selection Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my Port bottled and labeled yesterday and today and I was well pleased with the way it turned out. Masta assisted me with the calculation of PA and it is a little over 19%. I added a little more Meta to it since I plan to age the bulk of it for a while.

2005-10-23_132044_bottling_port_102205.jpg

Something I have never seen before and it may be just because it was a Port. When I racked it from the carboy to bottle it, there was about 1-1/2" of a very thick, syrup in the bottom and adout 1/2" of typical sediment under that. The picture of the "goop" is in the funnel I poured it out of the carboy into. Didn't want to get my septic system drunk
smiley36.gif

2005-10-23_132114_goop_in_port.jpg

Anyway, it is bottled, labeled and capped and going into storage for at least until Christmas. Will definately be giving it a try then

2005-10-23_132320_port_bottled_102205.jpg

Im not sure Hippie. There was an F pack but I stirred it well with my Fizz-X when i added it. I know I stirred it for over 3 minutes at full bore.

Looks great! I have this in the primary now and it is my first port. It's been 6 days in there already and the SG is only at 1.030. This one started slow for me, and I think it will take another 2 days to get down to 1.015 before I chaptilize it. However, my initial measurements showed my starting SG a little high at 1.135-1.136, so I think the yeast had a little trouble getting set up.

I'd be very interested in your tasting notes since I am a long way off from bottling this batch. Hopefully next yearI will be opening a young bottle of port for those rainy winter nights here on the west coast.
smiley4.gif

Perhaps George can check with the mfg of the kit and give some input on the syrupy remnants.

Dean said:
Looks great! I have this in the primary now and it is my first port. It's been 6 days in there already and the SG is only at 1.030. This one started slow for me, and I think it will take another 2 days to get down to 1.015 before I chaptilize it. However, my initial measurements showed my starting SG a little high at 1.135-1.136, so I think the yeast had a little trouble getting set up.

I'd be very interested in your tasting notes since I am a long way off from bottling this batch. Hopefully next yearI will be opening a young bottle of port for those rainy winter nights here on the west coast.
smiley4.gif

My tasting expertise has much refinementr to be made Dean but My first glass gave me the impression that this port is going to be really good with time. The boquet was fruity & spicy, a hint of plum, blackberry. It was very smooth for a young wine anddefinately full bodied. I liked it as did my Wife

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="95%" align=center>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =bold>Waldo wrote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" bgColor=#999999>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =text>

Perhaps George can check with the mfg of the kit and give some input on the syrupy remnants.

</TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

I have never made this kit but I would say the sludge is just solids from the wine after adding the F-Pack. Every kit is different in how much lees you get after fining and settling.

This is curious. How did the wine get in the bucket? Do you bottle from the bucket?

geocorn said:
This is curious. How did the wine get in the bucket? Do you bottle from the bucket?

I racked from the carboy to my fermenter and bottled from that George. The picture you see though of the "goop" is not in a bucket. It is in my funnel. A close up shot.

I am not sure I have an answer for that. I need to call WE tomorrow about another kit, so I will ask them about your.

Back