WineXpert Starting a Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel Kit..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenlm

Reaction score
Hello,

Im starting my first batch of wine ever. Ive decided to use a Selection Estate Series Lodi Old Vines Zinfandel. I began primary fermintation yesterday. I have a few questions.

Has anyone used this kit before, if so what were your results?

The directions dont mention stirring the must everyday but it does say to take a SG and temp reading...Should I be stirring the must daily when I take these readings? Ive seen a few posts with this mentioned, Im concerned as some of the wood chips/powder are drying out on top the must, and I want to make sure its "oaking" correctly.

Here is my log so far.

Yesterdaytemp 72f approx SG 1.092

Todayno change, small amount of bubbling/instability noticed. No foaming.

Thanks...

Darren

I haven't made this kit.

You can stir the must everyday if you want, but it is not necessary. I would stir theoak in, however. Eventually, theoak will precipitate to the bottom of the fermentor with the lees. If you want to stir the must everyday when you take SG readings, go ahead. You will be sure to get a more accurate reading that way, especially if you filter the sample through2 or 3 layers ofsanitized cloth. A piece of white sheet or pillow case works well. It won't be white long! Be sure to keep all utensils sanitized, before and after use. You can add the sample back to the bucket as long as you practice good sanitation.

Sounds like it is progressing normally. You will know when you have an active fermentation!

Good job!
smiley20.gif

I just got in from work and couldnt resist peeking at it. WOW, what a change from last night. The cap which was most of the oak has disappeared and the wine is fizzing like soda with small carbonation like bubbles all through it.

My SG is down to 1.086! So Im willing to say its working
smiley1.gif

-Darren

The best advice I can give you is to follow the manufacturer's instructions. Kit wines are different from fresh fruit wines for a number of reasons, but the lack of skins is a why you don't need to stir. If you had skins, pulp, etc., you stir to maximize the contact with the juice. With a kit, you don't have that issue.

BTW, the Lodi Old Vines Zin is one of the best Winexpert kits.

Thanks for the advice. Ive run into a few questions now that Im a few days into primary. I just took a reading and Im at 1.032, that was a huge drop from yesterdays 1.086. Is this normal? Also, my instructions read "After 5-7 days the SG will be 1.010 or less, you must rack at this time". What if I hit the 1.010 before 5 days? Should I Rack early? And does the fermentation taper off as it nears completion or is it full force until the end?

Thanks.

-Darren

It is very normal for the S.G. to drop very fast during the first days of fermentation, especially if your fermentation area's temperature is above 75 degrees. This is nothing with which to be concerned.

It is also common to reach the 1.01 level before day 5 if your fermentation area is warm. Once again, this is not a concern. The purpose of the first racking is get your wine off of the lees and into a airlocked vessel to protect it from oxygen. During the rapid fermentation phase, the first week, the yeast is producing plenty of CO2 to protect your wine. Once this stops, you need to move your wine to protect it from oxygen.

As long as you leave the lid on your bucket, you wine will be fine for up to 2 weeks, maybe longer. I know I have waited 2 weeks to transferfrom the primary with no ill affects. Remember, the instructions are written in a manner to allow you to bottle in the quickest time frame, so delaying steps is not a problem. Going faster than the instructions can be a real problem.

Because of all the above, I don't recommend taking the S.G. until day 5. As I have said many times, these kits ARE foolproof. Don't try to over analyze the instructions or the wine making process. Just relax and let nature take its course and you will produce a nice bottle of wine.

I have made this kit and the wine turned out wonderful. What George said is true, FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. I would not rack the wine too early as the more time on the OAK the better. When the SG reaches 1.010 even if brfore the 7 days, I would still wait till day seven It won't hurt. Also this wine needs ageing at leat 1 year. The key here is to have patience. If you want an early drinking wine, I would try one of the fruit wines. Peach Apricot Chard, Melon ZIN, etc. These wine are ready to drink as soon as you bottle or at least in 3 months. Thetrick here is to back up your OLD VINES ZIN withone or two more kits to build up your inventory including a nice summer fruit wine.

Bill

As I am nearing the end of my secondary fermentation I have a few questions about what I'll be doing next. I need verify a stable SG after which I add the sorbate and metabisulfate. The directions here mention serveral times the need to stir vigorously to ensure a good clearing. My question is should I rack into a primary and stir while its open and then rack into a clean carboy? like with a huge plastic spoon or should I invest in one of those power drill attachment stirrers and just do everything inside the carboy this is in right now? I personally think rackinginto a primary would give me a better stir but I dont know if it shouldbe racked and then reracked before set off to clarify.

Thanks.

Darren

Do not rack the wine before adding the sulfite, sorbate and fining agent!

I would strongly suggest investing in a drill mount stirrer like a mix-stir or fizz-x as I believe it is one on the most important tools of a successful wine maker. I have always used one and after 4 years and 120 kits have never had dissolved CO2 in my finished wine.

Don't worry if it takes some extra time to get one as the CO2 on top of your wine will protect it. For extra protection don't remove the airlock until you have the stirrer in hand. If you must remove the airlock and test just give the carboy a gentle rocking back and forth and some CO2 will be released and fill the head space after you replace the airlock.

Check out this post as it will explain why you should not rack before completing your wine:

http://www.finevinewines.com/Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5 52

There are a few mix-stirs on george's catalog. Im assuming the plastic one for carboys would be my need at this point. But is there a sort of multipurpose mix-stir where I could use it for inside the carboy and potentially in a fruit must?

Or are they all pretty much the same?

Thanks

The Fizz-X is the one you need. If for no other reason but the fact I have one!

smiley36.gif

OK... I just went on a little shopping spree... Carboy movers, covers, wine theifs, etc and of course a fizz-x. Now off tohome deopt for a drill and I'll be ready to start stabalization this weekend. I'll post an update when Im complete.

His order is on the FedEx truck as we speak! He will have lots of new toys this weekend.

Is it a big deal if I didnt shake up the chintosan before I dumped it into the carboy? I did stir it very well before I topped it off.

Thanks.

Almost There!

Today was day 27 of aging. Im anticipating bottling this weekend and getting ready to begin something else. This wine is good. Very Clear, Has a good red and dark fruit nose with just a tiny bit of soft smokey oak to give it some balance. The bodyis a bit lighter than I expected, more medium to light heavinesslike a good california cabernet franc,definatly young bright acid but not quite tannic. Overall for the first batch very good I think.

My question is does the bright tingly acidity mean I should hold on longer because mabye a little gas is left in? At times the wine almost had a since of tingle in your mouth, but there are NO visual signs of carbonation, great clarity and no fizzles. Or am I just over worrying about a very young wine?

Any advice?

Back