Lodi old vine zinfandel gets a marketing campaign

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I recall correctly, I had two types of Zin grapes to choose from - 'regular' and 'Old Vine'; and the old vine was only a dollar more per lug. Not much of a premium.

Another one of the old vines hanging around Lodi is Carignon. It is truly sad to drive through the country roads surrounding Lodi and see all of these old vineyards being ripped out and replaced. I totally get it from the financial point of view, but it is still troubling to see.

I agree but I also see the point of growing what you can sell for a profit. Wine is a business. And If I owned the land, and I wanted to make some $$$, I'd plant the good intersection of price and yield. It may not be those 100 year old vines. But Lodi is hot, not quite as hot as Fresno but still hot. The important point is that Lodi = Central valley. Giant wine growing AVA, hot climate,

I remember reading a similar article a couple of years ago. It pointed out this odd situation where people were pining for the old vines to be saved, and, at the same time, you can buy any number of commodity Old-Vine-Zins from Lodi for <$10. I must admit that I enjoy a cheap OVZ as much (or probably more! :) ) than the next guy, and I admit that I would be only willing to pay a small premium over another commodity wine. I suppose when the remaining stock (rootstock?) of old vines is reduced to the point where it is hard to get OVZ, equilibrium (at a higher price point) may be re-established.

Wasn't there a movement at one point to establish a minimum age at which a vine could be called 'old'?

Back