Started seven kits today

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Chuck. That is what I have been doing also but I wanted to get some of the water out. I note in the grape packs that come in kits that the grapes are very sugary and not juicy. It seems they are getting the liquid out somehow. It could be that the "grapes" in the grape packs are left over after pressings.

I remember years ago, when I was involved in making wine from grapes, my Grandfather made a "second" wine by not pressing the skins from the wine and capturing and segregating the "first run" of wine, which was excellent. He then would add sugar and water to the un-pressed skins and referment the wine. This second wine was not the quality of the first run, but it did have alcohol and tasted okay, and he slipped it in when people "over stayed their welcome" drinking his wine. Also, a bit of the second wine was turned into vinegar.

I might suggest that you branch out from all RC-212. I used to use it fairly frequently, but had a really bad experience with it and not enough nutrients. I have moved on and really life BM4x4, Rhone 4600, and Assmunhausen. But each to their own.

I was curious about this aswell, I was worried that rc212 wouldn't have enough nutrients so I pitched ec-1118 half way in.

@Rocky I will freeze my grape skins at the end of the fall season and use them back with Chileans juice with excellent results. I have never boiled them though. I think you would lose the tannins and flavor (as someone already mentioned). I also had a friend used froze grape skins for baking and making "Merlot & cab sav" home made pasta! Both were highly praised, unfortunately it wasn't around long enough for me to taste!

The third run off would be used to make Grappa.A high. Octane wine for after dinner.
I think they first dehydration. Then vacume seal with sugar water. Just enough to keep then moist.

Yes Joe, without incriminating myself or my family, we have "experienced" grappa which is technically a brandy. (We used to call it "crappa" giving you an idea of how it tasted) It is made by adding sugar and water to the grape skins to make a mash and then one applies the "d-word" process to the mash.

Yes it is a bit Strong ,in parts óf Italy and the Mediterranean it's spot on before or after dinner

Back