Started First Batch (DB)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djewell87

Junior
Reaction score
Well I started my first batch of wine today. It's quad berry db with some bananas also. So my initial SG before the fruit was added is 1.080. The recipe I was going for said that it should be around 1.085-1.090, I did not want to keep adding sugar because the fruit will ad sugar also and I had used 22 cups to get that reading. The recipe calls for 20 cups. Should I add more sugar until I get that reading or should I check it tomorrow and see what my SG is at after the fruit has soaked some? Also when using a paint straining bag do I leave it open as pictured or do I tie it closed? Thanks

image-4203170470.jpg

Last edited:
Close the bag. Punch it down a squeeze gently at least twice per day. Check your SG tomorrow before pitching yeast.

I'm not trying to add to DD's recipe but you might want to add 1/4 teaspoon of bentonite per gal. You will find it will aid you in clearing your wine down the road. Maybe Dave or someone else will chime in if I'm leading you astray.

Most of my wines have started as a bunch of fruit thawing in a trash can for a few days... SG before adding water usually are in the 1.030 - 1.040 range, so theres a chance you'll wake up tomorrow and have to add water because your SG *could* be in the 1.120 range

And yeah, tie that bag closed

Bentonite could help / wont hurt... A few people - Dave included, i think - have done some experiments with DB & various ways of clearing it... Pretty sure he has a 'recipe' somewhere that calls for bentonite in primary... I dont think you're leading anyone astray, Loner

Got pectic enzyme in there? Helps the fruit release the sugars..

I'm following Dave's DB recipe, right now I have energizer, nutrient, tannin, and Pectic. I'll close the back and give it a squeeze in a few when I get home. I will check the SG tomorrow, if it is reading too high should I extract some of the must and replace it with water?

Don't extract, just add water, but if you followed the recipe, it should be pretty much right on. It is good stuff and an awesome recipe that can be use like it is or tweaked a little. Great stuff.

OO, I just started a batch today and mine was at 1.092 before I added the fruit... I don't really have much room to add water (it's already difficult to stir), what kind of complications will this give me?

Also, I'm immediately regretting not putting bananas in there after seeing that picture, is it too late since I already pitched the yeast? or can i just throw them in tomorrow when I pull the bag out?

I pitched my yeast earlier today and I picked up some bentonite. How much should I put in?

Two teaspoons mixed WELL in 1/2 cup of warm water. Sprinkle it on the water and stir as you sprinkle or it will clump up on you.

Looks good, dj. I think you're on the right track. The bentonite is a toss up for me. After some experimenting with it in the DB, I couldn't tell the difference---either in the final product or it's ability to clear quickly.

Last edited:
From my own DB experience, I never use Bentonite. I just use Sparkloid at racking, per instructions, and always end up with very clear wine in the end.

Back