Star-San or K-Meta Solution?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-Guy

Reaction score
OK, another either/or question.

I've used Star-San for years in brewing beer. I am constantly spraying the stuff on something. It seems like most folks around here use a p. metabisulfite solution instead of Star-San, for sanitizing. And it seems like the k-meta (as I have now learned it is called) is used a lot in the must itself. So it's a nice combination of uses.

I've of course picked up some k-meta, and have been using it in my wines so far. But I haven't been using it in a solution for sanitizing. Partly because I have plenty of Star-San laying around.

Is there any reason why one is better than the other for sanitizing? Should I be moving away from my Star-San for wine-making?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question. I've managed to stumble through quite a few batches of beer successfully, and now seem to be on my way with a few batches of wine. But honestly, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to all the "science" aspects of it.

TIA!

Mark

I've been using star San since day 1 with no ill effects. The guy at my LHBS talked me into using it with my first wine kit. So far I have found no reason to switch to k meta. I did some research shortly after I joined this site. I found that many commercial wineries use star San as well.

I think you will be ok with k meta or star San

I primarily use Star San on equipment. It is a contact sanitizer, and works in 30 seconds. Supposedly as long as it foams, it is good. I mix up about 1/2 gallon at a time.

K-Meta, on equipment, sanitizes by exposure to SO2 gas. You put an inch in the carboy, swish around, wait a few minutes. Takes longer, and harder to sanitize things like the hydrometer, spoon, pot, etc.

Now, what I use K-meta (or Na-Meta) is a gas box. Open container of K-meta solution in a sealed cooler. I store stuff in the cooler, and it is sanitized when I need it. Be careful not to store things that will be affected by the SO2 gas. So, I primarily keep glass (hydrometer) and corks in the box.

Latest posts

Back