WineXpert Stalled Chocolate Raspberry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiderEh

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Chocolate Raspberry Port that is stalled at 1.016. It did kick in again after adding dextrose but seems to have stopped here. It's been that way for a few weeks now. I stirred it up yesterday, any other ways I could get this going again? What SG should I expect it to drop to? What's the highest temperature I should ferment at to get it going?

I called the LHBS and one store said just leave it longer, the other said just move onto the next step, 1.016 is close enough.

Also, are people adding the full f-pack or will that make it too sweet?

After Chaptalisation, I fermented at 80 degrees. What was your starting SG, and before and after Chaptalization?

I started at 1.128. Was at 1.015 and chaptalised to 1.030 before it fermented down to 1.007 before the yeast gave up. That implies an ABV right at 18%, the stated limit for the yeast. The ABV may be a little higher because I don't think 1/2 of the f-pack was fully reflected in the starting SG.

Also, are people adding the full f-pack or will that make it too sweet?

I added 1/2 of the f-pack at the beginning. When I added the second half, the SG ended at 1.017. It seemed about the right sweetness for me, but I won't know until the next racking in a few days.

If you are at 1.016, the entire f-pack will bring you to around 1.030.

Last edited:
I started at 1.128 I believe as well, but would have to double check. I added 1/2 the dextrose one day to get it kickstarted, then the second half the next day and I recall it being 1.016 before that was added. So it did it eat down to 1.016 but never went further. I just put a second heat belt on this morning as it was only at 19C or 66F, I guess since my basement is colder now I need more heat. I'll let you know actual SG's once I get home tonight.

Make sure you stir it up. Hopefully fermentation will restart as it warms up.

Here it is:
Step 1a - 28th Sept: 1.128
Step 1b - 3rd Oct: 1.020 added half dextrose
Step 1b - 5th Oct: 1.020 added 2nd half dextrose
Step 2 - 13th Oct: 1.016 and racked

On November 9th it was still 1.016 and we stirred it up. I'm a bit afraid we removed too much yeast when racking and this won't start up again. It's at 78 F right now, air lock is a bit lifted but this may just be due to thermal expansion. Haven't observed bubbling from airlock.

Last edited:
I made this kit 2 years ago. I checked my notes and it stalled at 1.016 also after adding my dextrose. I tried everything, heat belt, stirring and even tried more yeast. I wasn't able to get it going again. I went ahead and stabilized. cleared and added the whole f-pac. The ending s.g. was 1.040 a tad higher than I care for. Fortified with 2 bottles of E&J Brandy. I won't tell you how good it is but I serve it on holidays, special occasions and when I want to impress someone. Bakervinyard

You added brandy on top of the dextrose? Surprised to hear this, as it should have already been 17-18% alchohol.

I placed a call in with Winexpert to see what they say, but if it hasn't moved by this weekend I will likely stabilize/clear and add the f-pack. I'm curious if I should add the whole f-pack now, if it will be too sweet?

Can anyone else comment if they are not adding the whole f-pack?

I stabilized and added 1/2 of the f-pack 2 weeks ago (ending SG of 1.017), and racked last night. For my taste, it was just right (note: I added 1/2 of the f-pack at the beginning for the chocolate/raspberry notes). Before I bottle in a few months, I will try variations, such as sweetening (to 1.025) and fortifying (port is 18-21% alcohol).

I will try fortifying with 190 proof everclear as well as 80 proof brandy.

IMHO: Add 1/2 of the f-pack (save the remainder in the fridge). Wait 2 weeks. Sample the port. Decide if you want to add the rest of the f-pack.

Note: A local "make your own wine here" store had the Choc Rasp Port (also sells wine by the glass), and I was not impressed. They make it per the directions, but serve it too early. Some TLC and tweaking to taste goes a long way with the kits.

Last edited:
I contacted Winexpert, and they said that these kits have been finishing high the last two years, and that 1.016 isn't that bad. They also commented to add half the f-pack, and adjust to taste from that point.

Mine is holding steady at 78-79F right now, I will check if the SG has dropped this weekend, if it has I may leave it another week. Otherwise I will clear.

Well it may have dropped to 1.014, I never took the last measurement at 1.016 (fiancée did) but I'm going to give it another week to see if it moves. It sure smells of alchohol anyways!

It hasn't dropped, so I went ahead and added the f-pack and cleared it. I will give it an extra rack in 1 week before bottling a week later. We ended up using the whole f-pack as it seemed to mellow out the extra alcohol. We still plan to fortify it with 350ml of E&J brandy.

We've made this kit twice. Both times it got stuck at the same place yours did. We made a mistake with the 1st batch of trying several different approaches making a yeast restarter to try to get it going again. It never did start back up again and all the things we added just ended up adding some mild off flavors. When the second batch got stuck in the same spot we just stabilized and cleared it. Then we added 16 ounces of 190 proof Everclear to fortify it and bring the ABV to 18.5%. This batch is a year younger that the first batch but already taste better. Both times we added the full f-pack.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Back