Stabilizing and Sparkolloid at the same time?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRM850

60% Clueless
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just stabilized a white muscadine today. I probably should have racked it again prior to stabilizing as it was decently clear, but I added the Campden and Potasium Sorbate and stirred all of the settled matter into a solution. I was planning on clearing the wine with something after stabilizing and prior to bottling anyway, so my question is- can I add the fining agent at the same time as the stabilizers? I have Bentonite, Isinglass, and sparkoloid on hand.

After stirring...
mvvglKgl.jpg

That's fine, What are you going to use? typically I used Chitosan and Kieselsol, they are my preferred clarifying agent as they work within 2 days and drop it clearer than anything else.

That's fine, What are you going to use? typically I used Chitosan and Kieselsol, they are my preferred clarifying agent as they work within 2 days and drop it clearer than anything else.
I'm not sure which I will use. I've read enough to be very confused about the pluses and minuses for each. I used bentonite and sparkoloid on my last red which ended up very clear, but really it was another dose of pectic enzyme after those two were used that finally cleared it up. I don't have either of the two you mentioned immediately available. Of the three that I do have, is there one I should try first?

I'm not sure which I will use. I've read enough to be very confused about the pluses and minuses for each. I used bentonite and sparkoloid on my last red which ended up very clear, but really it was another dose of pectic enzyme after those two were used that finally cleared it up. I don't have either of the two you mentioned immediately available. Of the three that I do have, is there one I should try first?
I did read that sparkoloid can take quite a long time to work 2-4 weeks minimum but up to 8 is recommended to keep sediment out of bottles, I would suggest probably the bentonite as I have no experience with isinglass. I know that bentonite can drop out in 3-12 days usually.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back