Spring Wine Plans

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By adding the 18 pounds to each, what was your total yield of wine per bucket? Also, did you add the same varietal to each bucket?

Last edited:
Matty, I made a bucket each of merlot and pinot noir in 2013. Added a lug each of similar grapes to each. When I bottled the pinot in the spring of 2014I wasn't to pleased with the results. Let me tell you it is really good now! I'm getting a couple more juices this spring, just haven't decided which one. Bakervinyard

By adding the 18 pounds to each, what was your total yield of wine per bucket? Also, did you add the same varietal to each bucket?

The 18lb lugs will get you an additional 1-1.5 gallons. That worked out perfectly, as each wine spent 5-6 months in a Vadai barrel and the angels were thirsty. :D

Yes, I used the same varietal to keep things simple. It was my first attempt with fresh juice or grapes.

Nice. I think I'm definitely going to add grapes to the buckets this year. Did you do anything special to prep the grapes? Just curious as to your steps. Thanks Boatboy!

Nice. I think I'm definitely going to add grapes to the buckets this year. Did you do anything special to prep the grapes? Just curious as to your steps. Thanks Boatboy!

The beautiful thing about this method is that you really don't need any special equipment, other than some paint strainer bags. I got the grapes home and destemed by hand, putting the grapes into the bags - two bags per 18lbs, IIRC. Then I put the bags into buckets and crushed with a potato masher. Once that was done, I added the juice. From there, it was just like doing a kit with grape pack. If you can measure your pH and TA, I'd recommend that. I didn't have a pH meter when I did this, so I was flying a little blind. It came out OK though.

The 18lb lug of grapes and 6 gallons of juice will be more than the juice bucket can handle. So you'll need a large fermenter or will have to split them up. I had 5 gallon food grade buckets on hand, so used those. Once primary was done, I squeezed the 'grape packs', then racked to a carboy and a gallon jug for secondary.

Awesome, thanks for sharing. One other quick question- did you wash the grapes or sulfite them at all before hand?

Awesome, thanks for sharing. One other quick question- did you wash the grapes or sulfite them at all before hand?

Nope. In hindsight, adding 50ppm of sulfite for 24 hours might not have been a bad idea - to kill any wild yeast that was on the grapes.

Back