Splenda

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I have had some wine from a fellow wine maker sweetened with Splenda and it was very nice.

I make a hard cider that I like sweet but also want to bottle carbonate. Back sweetening with sugar would result in bottle bombs. I'll back sweeten with Ideal sweetener and add enough real sugar for priming purpose only. The yeast only consume the real sugar and I end up with sweeter carbonated cider.

Seems like u should be able to use an artificial sweetener in your wine.

Splenda is made from sugar and while it will not start to ferment initially...at some point in time the sugar component may start to ferment. So just be sure to use sorbate/k-meta. I backsweetened some DRY Skeeter Pee with Splenda and purposely did NOT use sorbate on 1 gallon and marked those bottles. Nine months later, three of those bottles have popped corks and started refermenting, kept them stored at 55F.
Another gallon was backsweetened with stevia, non-sugar based natural sweetener, and I have had no issues--but again I did not expect any issues with the stevia.
I consider my experiment complete and the Skeeter Pee was consumed over July 4th!

Saramc cool experment, but I must ask, how in the world did you make a gallon of pee last 9 months :w

Saramc cool experment, but I must ask, how in the world did you make a gallon of pee last 9 months :w

All in the name of SCIENCE....but I had many other wines to choose from, not to mention more Skeeter Pee. And I really must say, I enjoyed the aged Skeeter Pee much more when compared to "fresh".

Latest posts

Back