Spiced Banana Mango

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You people are such a bad influence on us! Bert and I had to buy about 25 pounds of bananas today... Such a bad influence....

PolishWineP said:
You people are such a bad influence on us! Bert and I had to buy about 25 pounds of bananas today... Such a bad influence....

Now we are talking...
2005-12-31_195039_banana.gif

Masta,

That wine sure looks good! I like using the brown sugars alot...it adds that Caramel and Molasses flavors that seem to help compliment the fruit wines.

Thanks Maui...have you ever made a syrup with fresh or dried bananas and sugar to sweeten and add more banana flavor?

Masta,

No not with any added flavors, but that sounds like a great idea. I bought a Macadamia syrup that is made locally that I use occasionally to change the flavor of my coffee...I'm sure that could be done with just about any flavorings. On that thought, if the banana does not come through in the syrup, would Banana Extract work also if added to the sugar syrup?

I am sure the extract would work...I willhave to play with the syrup and see what I came come up with.

When you do your banana wines...do you cook the bananas and then just pour them into the must, or put the cooked mush into a staining bag????
2006-01-07_151345_banana_cool.gif

That would really depend on what state that the banana was in prior to simmering on the stove in water. If prior freezing the bananas and making sure that they are really totally ripe, then they will melt away into the water. Two advantages happen here, you have reached total natural sugar ripeness, and no dealing with large particles of must. I would hold back the addition of sugar (15%) and some water to avoid overshooting your S.G. target. Then if you're under, you can adjust by heating more sugar with the water that you held back. Hope this helps!

Thanks Maui, I thought the bananas were very ripe when I froze them, mostly they did dissolve, but had a few little whiteys floating around, put them in the blender on low for a few seconds and then it was all one color...then added to the primary. This is sure some thick must....makes me worried if it will ferment down to a liquid state.
2006-01-07_154952_ponder.gif

smiley2.gif
Did you post your recipe? I don't remember seeing it. If you have enough water, and did all the tests, etc. the pectic Enzyme will break down the pulp etc., and you'll end up with alot of lees. I wouldn't worry, just let it rip!

Maui Joe said:
smiley2.gif
Did you post your recipe?  I don't remember seeing it.  If you have enough water, and did all the tests, etc. the pectic Enzyme will break down the pulp etc., and you'll end up with alot of lees.  I wouldn't worry, just let it rip! 

No, did not post the recipe...we'll see how it turns out first. The must did get thinner by the time I was ready to add the yeast...must have been the Peptic Enzyme working...it was totally different from last evening...so am not worried about it anymore...think it will be good. Just hoping the lees are below the spigots in the primaries....I put the must in 2 buckets to spread the lees out in a thinner layer....Thanks for your encouragement and help.
smiley2.gif

Your welcome NW! My experiences with Mango has been very similiar to using a Peach puree...so much fine lees and it takes time to settle out. This is why I like to use Bananas alot ...it not only helps in the viscousity, etc., but it really helps settle the lees and clearing alot quicker. The flavors of the Banana and Mango are not really pronounced in a wine unless high flavoring of either is used. I have noticed that both of them will come forward as the wine ages.

I keep forgetting to hold a reserve of the juice back and freezing it then using that to amp the fruit flavor when the wine is bulk aging. This would probably work well vs. sweetening back prior to bottling with sugar etc....A senior moment again!
smiley5.gif

It is funny you mention the reserve to sweeten as I saved some of the F-Pack I didn't use from a RJS Calypso Bianco kit to possibly sweeten my banana mango.

Description from RJS:

Calypso Bianco breathes fragrant aromas of succulent tropical fruits. Featuring mango and sweet pineapple, it is enriched with hints of sun ripened banana and guava. This straw colored wine captures the color and spirit of the Caribbean.

Right On! I just had to smile
smiley4.gif
while reading your post, it reminds me of readingClassy Restaurant menus doesn't it?

I'm sure that F-Pack will definitely "kick it up a notch"...Is that added normally justprior to bottling?

Interesting, it would be nice if RJS would sell F-Packs outside of their wine kits. Let us know Masta how it came out.

This particular kit has a very large F-pack and using it all in the kit makes the finished wine too sweet as we found out with the first onewe made.

This time the extra will not go to waste !

Latest posts

Back