Spiced Banana Mango

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
Started a batch yesterday using dried Bananas from Hawaii (thanks Maui) and dried Mangos. Following MJ's advice Isimmered the dried fruits, raisins and Cinnamon sticks in a straining bag for 30 mins. The boys were upstairs playing and came down and asked if Mom was baking Banana bread as the smell throughout the house was amazing!

Starting SG was 1.092.

Ingredients for 3 gal Batch:

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 365pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=487 border=0 x:str>
<COLGROUP>
<COL style="WIDTH: 365pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 17810" width=487>
<T>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17>
<TD =xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 365pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; : transparent" width=487 height=17>14 oz Dried Bananas from Hawaii, 20 oz Dried Mangos</TD></TR>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17>
<TD =xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; : transparent" height=17>2 lbs Dark Brown Sugar, 4 lbs Light Brown Sugar</TD></TR>
<TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20>
<TD =xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt; : transparent" height=20>1 Cup White Sugar</TD></TR>
<TD =xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt; : transparent" height=20>2 tsp Yeast Nutrient, 2 tsp Yeast Energizer</TD></TR>
<TD =xl25 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt; : transparent" height=20>15 oz Golden Raisins</TD></TR>
<TD =xl25 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt; : transparent" height=20>3 Cinnamon Sticks, 1/2 tsp Tannin</TD></TR>
<TD =xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt; : transparent" height=20>9 tsp Acid Blend, 1 1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme</TD></TR>
<TD =xl25 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 15pt; : transparent" height=20>

Red Star Premier Cuvée Yeast

2005-12-29_082435_Fermentation_Day2.JPG
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Masta,

Your description of the aroma has reached across the ocean. The must sure looks "happy!"
smiley17.gif

As you can see Maui I tweaked your instructions with use the Pectic Enzyme but I didn't want to have any haze issues since I used the dried Mango. The brown sugar really gave it a dark color and I hope the 3 cinnamon sticks isn't too much but if is I will have to blame the wife since she convinced me to add three!
smiley36.gif

I picked up on the Pectic Enzyme. Mango does have alot of fall-out like peaches. The Banana will surely help as well. The cinnamon sticks are powerfull stuff. I have used them in an apple wine and left it after fermentation for 4 days while clearing and the taste was very pronounced. I had used 1- three inch stick and was impressed how potent they really are. The experiement was for a 1-gallon apple wine.

I am thinking I should remove the cinnamon sticks now so it doesn't add any more spice.

smiley17.gif
It's like sugar, once added...
smiley11.gif

It can always be added again later if needed. I would have to agree with you.

Ok...removed them and worst caseif itis really too much cinnamon I will have to make more banana wine and blend it!
smiley2.gif

I used 3 sticks in my apple while it was clearing and then 1 after it was clear. I gave it a slight hint of cinnamon but, not as much asI expected. I guess adding it during fermentation would really break it down and get the flavor in there though.

Don't we love those other options! I would imagine that some of it will precipitate out during fermentation anyway. Keep us posted.
smiley4.gif

I have never tried a banana wine Masta..How is it? What could you compare it to? And looks very good too I must say

I have never had a banana wine either but I will let you know when it is ready. I just gave it a quick stir and it has a real interesting color from the brown sugar!

Several weeks ago I printed off Martina's recipe for banana wine. I've slowly
been collecting over-ripe bananas and freezing until I have enough to start a
batch. I'd like to mix with a few currants I think. I'll try to post.

Man to think of all the bananas that have been tossed over the years cause they were really ripe and they didn't get used for banana bread or cake!
smiley7.gif

Ripe bananas into feezer...Ripe bananas into freezer !

Been collecting 'used' bananas from the local grocers this past week...freezing them as they get soft and sweet, like PWP said...before the fruit flies apear....
2005-12-31_195039_banana.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Waldo said:
I have never tried a banana wine Masta..How is it? What could you compare it to? And looks very good too I must say

I made one gallon of banana wine back in May.Needless to say, I wish I had made more!
smiley7.gif
I broke open my last bottle
smiley19.gif
a couple of nights ago.The aroma that wafts through the kitchen when starting this wineis heavenly! It really does smell like banana bread baking.When it is time to remove the bananas (I think 3-4 days)before transferring to secondary, it looks a little nasty,but it is one of the best scratch country wines I've tried.

Definitely keep us posted, Masta! I think the brown sugar will be yummy!

Northern Winos said:
Been collecting 'used' bananas from the local grocers this past week...freezing them as they get soft and sweet, like PWP said...before the fruit flies apear....
2005-12-31_195039_banana.gif

Not sure if I have ever seen any used bananas before.
smiley17.gif
LOL

Transferredthe Banana Mango today into secondary and took a small taste and doesn't seem to be too much cinnamon at this point. I will being thinking about making a syrup with sugar and banana to sweeten a bit when fermentation is complete.

Cool color with brown sugar!

2006-01-07_124459_Secondary_010706.JPG

Back