Specific gravity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Glass

Junior
Reaction score
I have been making wine from kits for years. I am currently doing a wine expert Lodi ranch 11 that I have done in the past. My issue is that the specific gravity is at the bare minimum of .996. The chart says < .996 . It has been fermenting 28 days. 14 days past normal fermenting time. My question is should I try and make it go lower, or is the minimum of .996 good enough? If I should take it lower, how do I get it to do so. I have never ran into this issue, so I am not sure how to get it to go lower.

Thanks, Steve

IME most wines end between 0.990 and 0.996. On this forum, it's generally accepted that the threshold is <= 0.998, and I've had a few wines that hit 1.002 and stopped for no reason I can determine.

In addition to not reading instructions, yeast will not follow a calendar, and don't even think of emailing them.

As a general rule, when you reach a good point for the first racking/pressing, put the wine under airlock and give it a month.

Back