WineXpert Specific Gravity ? by a newbie!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francie

Reaction score
Hi All, I am just starting to make wine using the kits, and I have a question regarding SG. My friends who have been doing this for about three years say they never check the SG. So far, I guess they have been lucky. Is it necessary, or should I not bother as well? I will be doing most of this in our basement where the temp. does remain at a constant 67-68 degree all year long. (Newer home with good insulation)

Thanks for your input!!

Amy
smiley3.gif

Most kits are usually on the money when it comes to the starting S.G., but one can sneak by the manufacture. I much rather waste a few minutes to check it out than get a month down the road and find out it was a bad kit.

Welcome Amy,

Checking SG is critical when making wine to confirm the progress and making sure you don't have a problem. I would certainly suggest to disregard this advise from your friend on this part of the process.

Please take some time and read through our tutorial and ask any questions you have as we are here to help you:

http://www.finevinewines.com/Home-Wine-Making-Tutorial.htm

The first question that Winexpert will ask me when I have a reported bad kit is "What was the initial S.G?". If you have a bad kit and want it replaced, you better have this reading; otherwise, you might be out of luck. In addition, it is just a good habit to have.

Amy, it would be interesting to know how your friends know how much sugar to add to their must before fermenting if the wine is not a kit, know when to rack from primary to secondary, when their fermentation has ended, if has become stuck, or what the alcohol content of their finished wine is. Heed the well given advice of Masta and George..Play Mad Scientist and use that hydrometer faithfully.

Its just a tiny bit of work to check the gravity but when you keep
doing it after awhile youll get to know by looking at the airlock and
action in carboy just about where your wine is at because of checking
SG from the start. Kind of like driving your car for a long time and
noticing any little noise. I always use my hydrometer now. The one time
you dont youll probably have a problem and wont know what went wrong.

smiley2.gif

Thank you so much for the advice. I was thinking that I should be checking the SG, and from now on I most definately will!!!

Amy,

I go along with all the other advise, USE IT and OFTEN! Especially, if you plan on making any country wines (fruit, flower, etc.), you will need the hydrometer to get the proper starting SG (sugar level). All fruit, like grapes, have different brix (sugar content) depending on growing conditions, age at picking, etc. Recipes often give a standardamount of sugar to add without regards to the brix of your fruit. Withouta hydrometer, you could end up with a very low alcohol wine that will not keep, or a very high alcohol wine that will not be as palatable as it could be. Get in the habit of checking your SG often. It will give a pretty accurate reading of what your wine is doing.

Latest posts

Back