Something strange growing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkingsnorth

Reaction score
I did the clarification and stabilizer for my wine on Wednesday. Almost overnight the wine went clear. I saw a lot of white stuff at the bottom of the carboy and now there is white stuff that almost looks like it is growing. Any ideas?

11498_10201495068770530_617056393_n.jpg

BTW, I added extra yeast and corn sugar to this batch about ten days ago because the fermenting had stopped at 1.0. The gravity is now down to .992.

I used Sulphite, Potassium Sorbate then used Kieselsol and Chitosan. It is what came in the kit. The first 2 I believe are for stabilizing and degassing and the second 2 for clarifying.

That is normal after a clarifier. Especially kielosol/chitosan. Buggies would normally grow on top of wine, not in the bottom, but that is just sediment precipitating, it is weird though how white it is after that particular clarifier, but that is what all my wines look like at that stage.

My guess is you have some co2 trapped in your sediment. It is trying to get out, not making it and just lifting the sediment some. Be advised, this is just a guess. Arne.

i agree with arne, you have some co2 in there, and its causing the lees that fell to rise.
I would rack it a few times, and let the hose hit the inside of the wine just cascades to the bottom.
may take a few times.

Yep, racked it and almost all is gone now. Can't believe how quickly the wine cleared

Latest posts

Back