SO2 Test Equipment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigSell

Reaction score
Looking for an SO2 tester that will not break the bank. Does anyone have any experience with the Economy tester from MoreWine?

If you are referring to the $99 one, it is worth the $$. I already had most of the components for it on hand so I bought other pieces piecemeal and regularly use it. The phosphoric acid might seem a bit pricey but if you keep it refrigerated should last a long time. I did buy the HCL but have not used it as the peroxide stays in the magenta range when I start up.

Mike, that's the one, seems like the only difference between it and the Vinmetrica unit is you have to rely on your ability to judge the color changes.

Color change is very apparent. First you add the peroxide to a flask then add the indicator. Next is distilled water, the solution should be a light magenta. Adding NaOH will turn it to a grey/green color.

I could outline the entire test here, but you can go online to MoreWine and download the test procedure from them. You will want the "Home SO2 Test Kit" (MT140) as well as "SO2 Management" documentation.

I recommend having plenty of baking soda on hand to neutralize the phosphoric acid before dumping it down the drain.

Mike, very cool! I have watched the videos, now with your endorsement I think I will give it a try.
Thanks for your informed help.

Latest posts

Back