Slow Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used it one time. I forget exacting for what wine. As I recall, it might have taken a bit longer to start than others, maybe a day. I avoid that nowadays, by starting the yeast in water with fermaid added, sitting in a warm area for 18-24 hours. It starts up within 6-12 hours like that. (Stolen from Finer Wines directions)

It's no emergency. Just wondering how long it takes to start. I pitched it dry.
I was in a Star Trek mood when I replied. ;)

IME, dry pitching most commercial yeasts takes 24 - 72 hours it kick off. Like Craig, I do overnight starters -- 1 cup water (90-95 F), 1 packet yeast, 1/2 tsp favorite nutrient, and 1/2 to 1 tsp sugar. Put in a sanitized wine bottle, and swirl to mix. Cover loosely with a towel. I keep the bottle on the kitchen counter (68 to 75 F, depending on season) for 6 hours, then I place the bottle next to the must, so that when I add it there is no temperature shock. As noted, 6 to 12 hours to take off the addition point.

I have stayed away from the LD Carlson yeast nutrient because it was described to me as junk food for yeast. I recently purchased a Finer Wine Kit from Label Peelers and was curious what the nutrients were in the kit. I suspected that it was diammonium phosphate and Urea. After calling Label Peelers they confirmed my suspicion. Why would a higher end kit package crap and call it nutrient.

I suspected that it was diammonium phosphate and Urea.
Why would a higher end kit package crap and call it nutrient.
Humm, , , remember in the old days, like 1800 on the farm, when birds flew over the grapes and put that white stuff on the grapes, , , that was urea, , , and that was yeast nutrient.

From a business point of view, the kit is designed to ferment fast/ quite hot/ clear fast. Straight chemical nitrogen works fast.
From an FDA legal point of view, it is supposed to be nitrogen nutrient for yeast since it is not labeled “DAP”. If it was supposed to be diammonium phosphate they would label it as diammonium phosphate (or DAP)

Humm, , , remember in the old days, like 1800 on the farm, when birds flew over the grapes and put that white stuff on the grapes, , , that was urea, , , and that was yeast nutrient.

From a business point of view, the kit is designed to ferment fast/ quite hot/ clear fast. Straight chemical nitrogen works fast.
From an FDA legal point of view, it is supposed to be nitrogen nutrient for yeast since it is not labeled “DAP”. If it was supposed to be diammonium phosphate they would label it as diammonium phosphate (or DAP)
That’s the problem. They are only labeled Packet A “start pack” and packet C “yeast nutrient #2”. I am not a kit winemaker but with all the hype surrounding FWK I thought I would try one. Haven’t started it yet. Waiting for some warmer weather. The juice bag is under refrigeration. I plan to follow the steps exactly even though my gut tells me otherwise.

@papabearRN I’ve used QA23 with a few ferments, mostly those I want to get more floral expression from like passion / mango and earl grey tea. I used to pitch it dry and it could take a day or two. I now rehydrate with GoFerm and it takes less time. I’m not so concerned about the lag as long as the temperature and pH are in range for the yeast. I also step feed with Fermaid O and K. It sounds like you’re well on your way though!

Latest posts

Back