skunky smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victank1

Reaction score
can you tell me if I can fix this or doI need to salvage and start new. I know this is caused by a gas given off by the fermentation but how can I salvage this batch...Or can I

Need more info on what kind and what you did so far.

It's that same strawberry that started back up after I had rack SG was 1.00 but now it has a skunky smell.. do I let it ferment some more or pitch it out the back door

Did you add any chemicals? Was this a 1 gallon batch? Since you just transferred I'm thinking you are smelling the yeast doing its job. I say wait and see ..

I only added Camden and after racking to a 5 gal carbouy it started back up. A buddy of mine says to feed it a little sugar and let it do it's thing.

Do not feed it sugar unless you started with a very low sg as all that will do is add more alc and stress out the yeast some more, I would think that the yeast might want a little more nutrient or like tepe said you are just not used to tye various smells that yeast can give off but a teaspoon of nutrient wouldnt heard with a good stir at tgis time.

What is the nutrient doing for the yeast if it is not providing it sugar to eat?

Is nutrient really needed or is it just a way of speeding up the yeast?

Nutrients help the yeast to work and grow...It is kind of like vitamins and fertilizer for the yeast...it helps to keep them healthy..

Sugar has no nutrient in it and like us without the proper nutrients we will get fatigued and fall flat on our face.

Latest posts

Back