Skeeter Racking question??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panama

Junior
Reaction score
I first racked the SP from the primary bucket to the carboy on 09/02/10, have not been able to check S.G or mess with, was planning on racking into clean carboys monday evening( adding the kmeta and spark + other ingred ), has this been to long in first carboy is my question? The original lemon SP looks quite clear, Blackbeery not so much, here is photo.

Thanks much

-Panama

DSC03745.jpg

Your timing OK. The batches look good although we'd usually like to see the carboys filled a little closer to the top. (Less oxygen exposure and more SP for you to drink)

Have you tasted it. I would think that much time-with that much air space may cause you problems. I am sure that even though you don't have a SG reading the fermentation has ceased (not to mention other concerns ie ABV etc.).

I'm sure more knowlegeable people will comment shortly.

If it was still fermenting when it was moved to the carboys, and you have had it under airlock the entire time, I'd expect that all the airspace in the carboys is carbon dioxide. Once you remove the airlocks though, you'll allow O2 inside and you'd risk problems with that much headspace over time.

Yikes, now a little worried, will add the clearing agent and kemta ect this evening. So basically let me get this right, rack into clean carboy, then degass, then add ingreds? Then cap with airlocks. and let clear for two weeks

-Panama

Last edited:
Yikes, now a little worried, will add the clearing agent and kemta ect this evening. So basically let me get this right, rack into clean carboy, then degass, then add ingreds? Then cap with airlocks. and let clear for two weeks

-Panama

.... then bottle, then enjoy!
drinking_smily.gif

When I add the rermaining three ingreds, do I need to mix or stir or any such?

-Panama

When I add the rermaining three ingreds, do I need to mix or stir or any such?

-Panama

Once the pee is clear, rack into another carboy with your ingredients, remember sorbate if you sweeten. Best to add a pinch of sulfite. Fill to the knuckle of the carboy and let sit a week. If it doesn't start fermenting you can bottle. Typical sorbate amounts are 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

Racked the lemon SP orig recipe the other night, yet still has debris of ingreds I added on top, it is clearing more, but should I worry about these debris on surfice? Racked Blackpee this eve, and had alot of foam afterwards?

Lemon SP-S.G When racked was .999
BlackBerry SP-S.G When racked was .990

Did taste them both :mny

Yet the BB seemed to be sweeter then the orig SP, yet added less sugar?

-Panama

Latest posts

Back