Skeeter Pee Revisited

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed Julie, I really like this and know well it is going to be great. Because Raspberry Lemonade is so darn good, I know the addition of a little raspberry to this wine has to be great.

Artic,

Let me know how that turns out. I might also consider strawberry. A lot of resturants out here offer a Strawberry lemonade... very tasty. I do not think I would ferment it with strawberries, but maybe add some flavoring after it has been stabilized.

I was thinking about using pre mixed juice and using it to "grow" the starter in. No, I don't want to alter the recipe too much, so far I am pleased with the results.

My Pee has left the bucket and is happily bubbling away in the secondary. I ended up with about a quart and a half leftover after going into the 3 gallon better bottle. It is in the freezer, (see LUCs recent post), I have been doing this alot. Anyway, even at 1.020, this tastes really good, I can hardly wait for the next 3 weeks or so to see how this mellows out.

Will definitely need to be backsweetened. I am considering that instead of adding the raspberry juice in the begining, using a condensed version of it for the sweetening.

We are on to something here for sure.

Troy

I did the math. 2 bottles of lemon juice, $5, roughly 10# sugar, $6. And of course additives, minimal. Oh yeah the apple juice, $1.25. So in conclusion..3 gallons of wine for less than $12.

Sounds and tastes good to me!!!!

Troy

While I was at the store today I looked at a bottle of "RealLemon" I noticed in the ingredient list that sulfites were mentioned. Would the amount of sulphites be negliable? Would they disapate after some time in open air?

I'd hate to buy this juice and kill the must because of the extra sulfites

This stuff does sound real good!
I think that I might have to try a batch. When I empty my primaries, all my carboys wil be full.:slp But I just won one on ebay so as soon as it gets here I will have room for something else.:r

Troy, you should put one whole mesquito in your primary as an ingreident, just so you can say its "real".....You said you wanted to ferment mosquitos...I think you should pass on the cat $hit.:)

I said hair Dale!! LOL

At, even if it says sulfites it may be negligible, but just the fact that lemon is high in acid it will be a bear to start, thats why we were talking about making a lrge stater or like volf is doing, go in reverse, but this stuff is actually pretty tasty indeed. definitely needs to be backsweetened, but the options for that are yet to be discussed.

I have a half of mind to email the author of this recipe and tell him how much attention it has brought in here.

PS, I spent a few days in Edmonton, and the Albertians there treated me like I was lost long family. Great city, great people, clean city. I sure had a great time there. Stayed pretty plowed but went to the Sherlock Holmes in the mall and still have the song book they give you when you enter, and by the time I left I was singing along with all the songs. I also spend some time in Winnipeg passing through and was treated the same. I enjoyed Winnipeg as well. So to all of you over there..Thanks!! Glad were neighbors.

Troy

Last edited:
Oops, well there is a good chance a stray cat hair might have made it into the batch, now all you have to do is find a mosquito in the middle of the winter.:r

Thats evil bro' to even mention mosquitoes in the middle of the winter! We've already seen -40F a couple nights. We darn sure don't need mosquitoes. i don't care where you are, Alaska has one of the biggest populous of mosquitoes in the world. Although the Willow Ptarmigan is are official state bird, most of us recognize the mosquito as the true symbol.

If there is any solace of our brutal winters, it is the fact there are no mosquitoes. I am however, looking forward to drinking mosquito pee, kinda like a reverse vampire thing..LOL. No, ROTFLMAO now.!!!LOL

Well I can say the reverse method works really well. I had no start problems nor has it slowed down! I am a newbie to, started brewing in November 2009, so only a few months!

I just added the last bottle of lemon juice, nutrient and energizer. Still got a nice rolling boil going on.

The smell is terrific:tz

I really can't wait to taste it!

Volf I wouldn't hesitate to give it a "whip", not a stir somewhere during the primary. Sounds like it is going great. I am happy for you. Right on!!!!

Likely going to throw 5 gallons or so together tomorrow, what kind of yeast do you guys recommend?

At, I would use a champagne yeast, premiere Cuvee, or the Lavlin 1118. They are strong agressive yeasts. But thats really just an opinion. I used Red Star Champagne, and my starter got to cold and died. I jump started it with Red Star Premiere Cuvee and the rest is bubbling in the secondary.

What did you use Volf? I think he used the Lavlin.

Excellent AT, keep us posted. Do you have a name, even a fake one. Feel weird calling you AT.

Troy

I used Lavlin 71B-1112, The selection was designed to isolate yeasts that would produce a fruity yet fresh character in wine that would live long after fermentation. The 71B is used primarily by professional winemakers for young wines such as vin nouveau and has been found to be very suitable for blush and residual sugar whites. For grapes in regions naturally high in acid, the partial metabolism of malic acid helps soften the wine. The 71B also has the ability to produce significant esters and higher alcohols, making it an excellent choice for fermenting concentrates.

The 71B strain is a rapid starter with a constant and complete fermentation between 15° and 30°C (59° and 86°F) that has the ability to metabolize high amounts (20% to 40%) of malic acid. In addition to producing rounder, smoother, more aromatic wines that tend to mature quickly, it does not extract a great deal of phenols from the must so the maturation time is further decreased.

I thought this one might be good, it was a toss up between this and D-47.

I have stirred it several times, I have a paddle spoon with holes in it, I get a good swirl going then hold the paddle in the vortex to get it splashing. I do notice when it has not been stirred for a bit, I get the sulfer smell.

Last edited:
It'll be fine Atri. Any yeast will work, but different yeast have different properties. I only use a couple different types and for now thats all I want to know. You could spend weeks learning about all the different yeasts.

1118 will be fine. Some yeasts like champagne or cuvee will tolerate a higher alcohol, if you ever want to make rocket fuel.

Dave,

Yeah sorry about that, Articsid asked what I used. I just posted all the details about that type is all. EC 1118 will work just fine!! It is an all around good yeast. I didn't mean for you to have to use the same kind as me. :dg

I had 2 packs of 71B and two packs of D47 on hand is all. So I decided to go with that one.

Latest posts

Back