Cellar Craft Showcase Yakima Valley Pinot Gris

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I'm interested in doing a white kit and am reviewing the options. I don't drink a lot of white wine, but when I do, it's usually a Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio. I'll drink the occasional chardonnay, but tend to lean toward a more "crisp" taste in the whites. The Yakima Valley Pinot Gris looks interesting to me, but one thing concerns me in the description. It states: "Our natural Flavour Reserve creates a rich mouth-feel with tangy fruit acid balancing the hint of sweetness.". Is this an F-Pack? Can anyone lend some insight into this one, or recommend something else? Thanks.

Jim

I made this kit and its fantastic. It has an F-Pack so its slightly off dry not sweet by any means. Probably one of the best white wines made to date. Would make this kit again.

Thanks guys!

Did either of you modify it in any way? From what I've read, it doesn't seem like you need to mess with the high end white kits at all.

I have this kit and a Vadai barrel on it's way. Is this kit a candidate for breaking in the barrel? I've read that Pinot Gris is usually not oaked, but that several top labels do oak it.

If it were me, I wouldn't put it in the barrel. especially to keep the bright flavour that is found in a pinot gris.

I would imagine some producers would put it in neutral oak barrels for micro oxidization rather than to get flavour from the wood.

The only white I would personally put into a barrel is chardonnay.

Back