Should I or shouldn't I...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayts

Junior
Reaction score
Eight weeks into my wine and into clearing -racked and added Kieselsol and was waiting a hour to add Clarifier but had family emergency and spent the last 4 days at hospital. After Kieselsol everything I have read says add clarifier within 24 hours....should I just go ahead and add the clarifier..rack and let it go.or add more Kieselsol and then clarifier. This is a Chardonnay and is starting to clear.

Last edited:
Eight weeks into my wine and into clearing -racked and added Kieselsol and was waiting a hour to add Clarifier but had family emergency and spent the last 4 days at hospital. After Kieselsol everything I have read says add clarifier within 24 hours....should I just go ahead and add the clarifier..rack and let it go.or add more Kieselsol and then clarifier. This is a Chardonnay and is starting to clear.

Go ahead and add the second part, it should work just fine. Only thing you’ll really mess up is stirring up the lees that have already settled. If by some chance it doesn’t clear, you can still repeat the two part process.

Seems like you are rushing it. What's the hurry? Eight weeks is just getting started on the aging process.

Aging a wine properly (12-18 months) gives plenty of time for the wine to clear without a lot of fining agents/chemicals. Each one used presents a chance for loss of flavor, color, aroma or all of the above. Time won't steal any of those from your wine.

At 3 months your wine may indeed be drinkable but will it really be enjoyable and something you can be proud to share?

I'm with JohnD on this one. Go ahead and drop the other half, give it a good stir and let it clear... whatever dropped will drop again. but, don't be in a rush to bottle.

You have plenty of time to let it clear and degas.

Last edited:
Back