WineXpert SG level during pri ferm

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redderthebetter

Reaction score
My Vint select Merlot kit says to wait till the SG is 1.01 or lower before racking to carboy. Mine at 4 days checked at 1.025. If I check it today or tommorow it will probably be at the 1.01 or lower mark. My question is, can I let it sit longer in primary trying to get the SG as low as it might get? The directions say 5-7 days. It is percolating just fine I guess, this being my first experience and all. Are there any plusses or minus's to letting it go longer or racking right at the top end of thecompany directions of 1.01?

I would say to follow the directions word for word. From what I understand, the reasoning is because the wine is still fermenting and giving off CO2, once you transfer to the secondary there will be a blanket of CO2 sitting on top of the wine and that will reduce the chances for oxidation. I am fairly new also, but that is my understanding of transfering at that point. I am sure one of our experts here will jump in and help you out soon.

BP is right. Follow the directions, at least the first time round. It has to still
be fermenting when you take it to the secondary to get that CO2 blanket.
You could rack it now, at 1.025 without any ill effect but wait until
tomorrow, that'll be your five days.

Anyway, it's more fun when it is in the carboy, because you can see the little
bubbles rising every time you go past. You can spend hours watching the
little yeasty beasties doing their thing. You can even playgames trying to
anticipate when the next airlock bubble will go.

And... much moreimportantly, you free up your primary to start the next
one
smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley4.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif

Big Port and Peter are correct to advise you to follow the directions carefully when making wine from kits as plenty of research has gone into the procedure so it comes out great every time.

This will help you understand the difference between what you want to happen in the primary and the secondary.

Primary Fermentation is actually Aerobic fermentation: Which means fermentation in the presence of oxygen. This stage is important to build a large colony of viable yeast cells to guarantee all the sugar in your must can be consumed and converted into CO2 and ethanol.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>

Secondary Fermentation is actually Anaerobic fermentation: Which is fermentation without the presence of oxygen. This stage is important so the yeast can concentrate on converting the sugar to CO2 and ethanol and not multiplying.<O:p></O:p>

Only microbes, such as yeasts and bacteria, can live for long periods without oxygen. The main reasons to put the wine under airlock in a secondary fermenter is to prevent any chance of oxidation when the fermentation slows and the amount of CO2that isproduced diminishes. It also allows the yeast to concentrate on feeding on the remaining sugar so you get a completefermentation or conversion to CO2 and ethanol.

As everyone has pointed out, the first racking is the most time sensitive due to the creation of the CO2 cap. After that, you can throw out the time schedule as long as you go longer than the suggested dates and keep your airlocks filled.

Latest posts

Back