WineXpert Select Premium Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beltfed

Junior
Reaction score
This is my first post and I wish to say hello to everyone. I have scoured the forum looking for some answers to3 questions I havebut haven't found any. Just a newby making some affordable hooch as a new hobby :>)

I purchased my first starterkit from FVW a little over a month ago andfinished bottling it 2 weeks ago.Everything went fine through the whole process ie:(sg readings,degassing etc )and the Pinot cleared just fineand looks wonderful. However when I taste tested it it had a "yeasty" smell to it.The flavor wasso-so but I figured it just needed to age for a few months per instructions.Is this smell normal?

My second question is on bottles. Can you put a red winein a white winebottle ( light green) or vice versa? I figured that since the bottles are in a dark closet it wouldn't make any difference. Some of the wines I have bought at the supermarket vary from real dark green bottlesto some that are lighter than used for some chardonays.

My final question is that 2 or 3 bottles have some ever so slight sediment. Is that anything to be concered about?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Firstly...Welcome Beltfed....hope you get your answers here.

I can not help you on your kit wine question, I have never made a kit, but am sure that the knowledgeable people here will help you out.

As for your bottles....Use what you have and like...you are going to store it in a dark place, so the effects of light on your wine won't matter...

For Your Information...here is a Site with wine bottle info...

http://www.cellarnotes.net/bottleshapes.html

If your wine is dropping sediment...then chances are it might continue to do so...maybe when yo serve it run if through a coffee filter....Maybe next time give it an extra racking off the sediment and a bit more time in the carboy to clear....

Once again...Welcome...stay awhile...

Edited by: Northern Winos

Beltfed, welcome. Young kit winewill smell yeasty, and often, not very good taste. At least that's been my experience, I made 12 kits last year. I think you will be impressed with the improvement in 4-6 months, gets even better at 12 months, if you can save some that long. I use whatever bottles I have on hand when I'm ready to bottle. If your wine is dropping sediment in the bottles, you bottled too early. I always bulk age for a minimum of 4 months before bottling, almost every kit has dropped sediment after the "bottling date" in the instructions. You can decant before serving, or a coffee filter as suggested by NW.
Dave

Welcome to the forum!

1) Isa yeastsmell normal? I haven't experienced it but since there is yeast in the wine a yeast smell during fermentation for sure is normal. Smelling yeastyjust prior to bottling... again possiblebut to dateI have not experienced it.
As for early taste, I as a rule prefer not to taste my wine until it has aged.I have found wine improves with aging.

2)As long as your bottles are in a dark closet the color of the bottles is not important.

3)slight sediment is not too much of a concern. If you are serving this wine to company you might want to put the wine into a decanter this way you pourthe clear wine intothe decanter not the sediment.

JCEdited by: jcnoren

Welcome Beltfed, As said before, after clearing rack it again and let
sit at least a couple more weeks. My first kit was bottled per
instructions like yours and I had sediment in mine also. Now I bulk age
in carboys for as long as I can before needing an empty carboy. Since
then I have not had any more sediment in my bottles and this also helps
the batch taste more consistant from bottle to bottle as compared to
bottling immediately and the batch aging in seperate bottles.

Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions! There is no doubt waiting is the hardest part of the job. The wine sure looks great!

I am glad to have found this place and am very satisfied with FVW service.

Welcome to the forum! You did manage to get the wine into the bottle quickly. As you'll learn, being patient has it's rewards. Lots of folks do some bulk aging and extra rackings as time, space and carboys allow. Guess you'll just have to get another kit and experiment with that notion!
smiley36.gif
Hope we continue to see you around!

Back