Sediment and taste?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabjoe

Reaction score
Based on what I've learned so far, when primary fermentation is over, it's best to rack so the wine can be moved off the gross lees. Now here's my confusion, I'm hoping someone can help me with.

Once in the secondary, sediment can fall fast, possibly with the help of a clarifier or it might take months. And this is where I'm confused.

It seems when there is a build up of fine lees, say more than a 1/2 inch, one should rack. So why is it ok to sediments suspended for what could be months and months before it needs to be racked? Just how much effect does fine lees have on wine and is it even worth racking before 3 months if it's fine lees, regardless of the amount?

Thanks!

Based on what I've learned so far, when primary fermentation is over, it's best to rack so the wine can be moved off the gross lees. Now here's my confusion, I'm hoping someone can help me with.

Once in the secondary, sediment can fall fast, possibly with the help of a clarifier or it might take months. And this is where I'm confused.

It seems when there is a build up of fine lees, say more than a 1/2 inch, one should rack. So why is it ok to sediments suspended for what could be months and months before it needs to be racked? Just how much effect does fine lees have on wine and is it even worth racking before 3 months if it's fine lees, regardless of the amount?

Thanks!

Personally, I don’t get freaky at all about fine lees, as long as I’ve done a good job leaving gross lees behind. If you get a lot of fine lees, there’s a chance you’ve not done a good job in racking to leave gross lees behind.

Some wines are allowed to sit on gross lees and skins for long periods of time after fermentation, though at low temps. Some wines are allowed to age on fine lees, and have them stirred back into suspension, sur lie aging. All of these are stylistic decisions by the winemaker, and have a purpose, they are not random events.

It is possible to develop problems with any of these methods, regular, timely racking early in a wine’s life will help increase your odds.

normally the gross lees contain yeast. as there is no longer any food left they become stressed and give the off odors. fine less are usually particulate that is suspended in wine. I usually follow the 3-3-3- method. once fermentation stops rack from primary. rack again in three days add k-meta this removes from gross lees. rack again in three weeks off of fine lees. rack in three months add kmeta go ahead with aging. if doing MLF add after three day rack.

Back