Screw this!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnT...

First I'm a home wine maker. Therefore I use corks. Therefore I prefer to buy commercial wines in cork finish bottles on those rare occasions that I buy a commercial wine. (And I buy beer in crown cap bottles.)

1. It is my understanding that the RIGHT screw cap will provide micro oxygenation. Sorta mentioned in the original article.

2. Cost. Yep already mentioned. But is a corking setup more or less expensive than a screw cap setup for a new winery? And since this discussion is on a Home Wine Makers Forum, it is best to mention that home screw capping with Stelvin style caps is VERY cost prohibitive.

3. 5 years vs 20 years? Big deal. Most wine is consumed within 2 days of purchase.

4. Stigma. Definitely an issue for some people. Not so much the younger generation.

One last thought... When you have your soul mate in front of a fireplace on a cold winter's night, would you rather hear the "CCCCCCLICK" of the screw cap being twisted, or the romantic "POP" of the wine cork? Which sound will impress more?

Or perhaps..."DAMN, where the **blip** is the corkscrew?" Or given that many people have cheap corkscrews, perhaps "I BROKE IT!! Do we have another corkscrew?" Very romantic.

Steve

Here is an interesting article, concerning screwcaps and mercaptans.

http://www.wineanorak.com/mercaptansinwine.htm

I can't find it now, but I recently read an article that compared white wines with various closure. The wines were 20 years old, so I imagine the technology has changed since then. It that testcase, the color of the wines was drastically different. Most of the wines were no longer drinkable, except for the screw-caped bottle.

I see no reason to consider switching from corks. Maybe I am a romantic.

Latest posts

Back