RJ Spagnols Sauv Blanc Acid to high

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtstarr

Junior
Reaction score
I posted this on RJ forum without much luck.

Ihave a En Primeur New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc going and the acid level seem extremely high, .75%+ the pH is close to 3.05. This wine is completely clean and could be ready to bottle but it is just too sour. Two nights ago I put in the cooler at 29 degrees to see if some of the tartic acic would drop out.

Any ideas on this wine kit? Also, this did not happen over night, I also checked right out of the primer fermeter and the acid was very high there too. I have checked my tools and they seem accurate, both the pH meter and acid test kit seem right on par when I measure other wines. All test were done at room tempature.

I have done a bench test with pottassiumcarbonate since I have used that in grapes before, sure taste better with a little less acid. Any ideas on creme of tartar? Other suggestions?

The one suggestion was to bottle it and wait, I cannot see the acid / pH lelel changing that much in the in bottle.

Actually .75% is right at the high range of normal for a dry white wine. .65 -.75% is the range for a dry white. If you really wanted to you could use calcium carbonate to get rid of some but I wouldnt mess with it. You coukld also subject your wine to almost freezing temps to help the wine drop its Cream of Tartar(Wine diamonds)

It may be in the range, but it is way too sour to drink. I have had three people try it and so far all agree.

I have not use Cream of Tartar as de-acidifyer, so I really don't know the seeding process, my understanding is that it is just that seeds for the crystals to form on.

This is some info from Jack Keller's website which might help. I havent run into this problem as of yet.

<dt>Potassium Bicarbonate (treatment):
</dt><dd>Used to reduce the acidity of musts and wines. Avoid using if
the pH is above 3.5 or if you need to drop the acidity more than a
maximum of about 0.3%. Only about 70% of the acid reduction potential
is realized unless you cold stabilize after treating the wine. It
causes a higher rise in pH for a given drop in acidity in comparison
with calcium carbonate, but it can be used much closer to bottling
time. 3.4 grams per gallon will give a potential 0.1% drop in acidity. </dd><dt>Potassium Bitartrate (Cream of Tartar) (precipitant):
</dt><dd>Used as a seeding agent to promote cold stabilization. Add to
wine at the rate of 2 to 5 grams per gallon, followed by vigorous
stirring. Stir the batch daily. It is not a substitute for chilling the
wine, but will aid in getting tartrate crystals to drop out faster at
any given temperature. </dd><dt>Potassium Carbonate (treatment):
</dt><dd>Used to lower acidity levels in wine. 3.8 grams per gallon
will reduce acidity by about .1%. Requires that the fermenter be stored
cold for several weeks after application. During the period of cold
stabilization the tartaric acid drops out as potassium bitartrate.
Doing a trial run with a small amount is strongly suggested to
determine exactly what the drop in acidity will be. Calcium carbonate
can be used in a similar manner and does not require cold
stabilization. However it adversely affects flavor, takes month to
precipitate out of solution, and preferenially reduces tartaric acid
first before affecting malic or citric acid.</dd>

If it is too acid for your taste, you could stabilize it with k-meta and k-sorbate and then sweeten to about 1.002. That will usually offset the acid and bring out the flavors of a lot of whites.

Most EP's require a minimum of 1 year before judgement. Even the whites. I say wait 1 year, plan on doing a cold stabilization during the winter, and adjust as required in the late spring.

If you can leave it in the 29F cooler for a month you will probably drop some tartaric acis crystals. I would be hesitant to use bicarb to react out the acids. I think time will be your best friend. If it is still too acid for you in a few months you can consider malolactic fermentation.

Acid adjustments are tricky at best. I think you and your friends probably like a less dry wine which is typical of new wine drinkers. Age will do wonders for drinking the wine, but it will never get that much less sour. If you just like a sweeter wine, just try sweetening a small amount, like a bottle full and see how you like it.

I would be very reluctant to try a malolactic fermentation on a kit wine that has had sulfites added.

Well, quick update, I was not going to bottle this with that ph level. It had already been in the cooler for 5-6 weeks at 29 degrees, so I don't thing much more t-acid will drop out. I went with half the amount potassium carbonate of my bench trial it the ph is now 3.12-3.15. It is in the bottle, the last bottle only filled 3/4 so I had that last night and it pretty good. We will see what happens.

BTW, this kit has been going for 4 months, including cold stablized, filtered. I did not ML it, nor would I think that would work well with this wine.

Appreciate allthethoughts and ideas.

Latest posts

Back