Sanitation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should really get OxiClean free. It's free of perfume, dyes and chlorine.
Similar container except it says "free" on it.

I was not aware of OxyClean "Free." I use the "Versatile" that you bought, Giovannino. I can see where the free would require less rinsing, but I have never had a problem with the "Versatile."

I put enough hot water in my sink to cover the bottles and add maybe 2 or 3 tablespoons of OxyClean. I would estimate that there is 4-5 gallons of water in the sink, normally

Thanks Flem and Rocky.

I'll have to try Canadian Tire and maybe Food Basics for the FREE one (don't we wish). Maybe it's a NEW product.

One note for clarification on sanitzation. I have seen a number of allusions on the forum to the fact that K-meta solutions sanitize with the gas released from the solution. While this is certainly true, it is not to imply that it only sanitizes with the gas and not on contact with the solution. It sanitizes both with the gas released and contact with the equipment.

I'm glad I found this thread. I was wondering if Star San could be used in wine making.

Thanks for the OxyClean recommendation - it worked well for me AND better than expected. Had a half-a-dozen bottles I was going to throw out because I couldn't get to the corners which I was able to save.

Me thinks labels came-off easier too.

Unfortunately couldn't find the "FREE" version so used the versatile.

I'm glad I found this thread. I was wondering if Star San could be used in wine making.

Sorry this is so late, but yes, StarSan is great in wine making, although it has its special place, where a contact sanitizer is a better alternative than a fumes sanitizer like Kmeta. Ex: sanitizing the inside of a carboy still works best with a fumes sanitizer like Kmeta. You can put a cup or two in there, install a solid bung, and shack it up. That works better than a contact sanitizer for this example.

If you want to sanitize that hydrometer, wine thief, or a spoon before you put it in your wine, a spray solution of StarSan works great. StarSan works great to sanitize your hands, too. I would imagine Kmeta could cause a rash on some people's hands.

I can't imagine not having my StarSan solution available on a daily basis. I have a spray bottle of both sanitizers and I use which ever one is more appropriate.

Thanks for the OxyClean recommendation - it worked well for me AND better than expected. Had a half-a-dozen bottles I was going to throw out because I couldn't get to the corners which I was able to save.

Me thinks labels came-off easier too.

Unfortunately couldn't find the "FREE" version so used the versatile.

I don't think any of the different Oxycleans have chlorine bleach in them. Chlorine is very, very bad for cleaning anything but the floors in the wine making scheme of things. It can cause cork taint.

Rinse out the Oxyclean solution as soon as you can, if you leave it in your bottles too long, it will leave a film, which is hard to remove.

If I have the correct mixture of sodium metabisulfite in a spray bottle that I use for sanitizing, do i have to rinse my equipment after spraying and wiping down, before it comes in contact with my wine?

If I have the correct mixture of sodium metabisulfite in a spray bottle that I use for sanitizing, do i have to rinse my equipment after spraying and wiping down, before it comes in contact with my wine?

I always do rinse, but if you think about it, if you don't rinse, you are constantly introducing a little extra sulfites. That can be good or it can be bad. I prefer to control exactly how much sulfites I add, so I will always rinse. The exception to this is when I am bottling. I use the special bottle Kmeta spritzer, then hang the bottles on the bottle tree. Once they have drained, I go ahead and fill them with wine without rinsing.

Also, the Kmeta solution is not good to stay on anything made of metal.

After reading through this thread - StarSan what is it and where can it be purchased?

Good evening everyone; first time poster here.

I never use sulfites at any point in my winemaking, so sanitation is critical. I sanitize my buckets, carboys, plastic and glass parts with a homemade solution. I used to use a weak bleach solution with a little dishwash soap added, but I have since replaced the bleach with potassium permanganate. It doesn't have any smell like bleach does, and its color lets me know when it is rinsed out.

After I use a container, I clean it quickly so nothing dries on it. I either throw it in the dishwasher or clean it by hand with dishwash soap.

Back