Rust on Press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aiannar974

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, I noticed I have a little rust on my press. Is this something to worry about? Should I sand it and paint it with food grade paint?

Thank you,

Anthony

I would sand it off, clean it up, i woud not paint it!!!,, i made that mistake once, little bits of the food grade paint will fall off when its hit by anything, sand wipe it down with water, some sanitize solution wash again...

You can give those kinds of areas a treatment of food grade grease. The stuff really sticks right where you put it and is resistant to being washed off. I bought a tube of it at the wine supply shop and use it on areas of chipped paint on the press and crusher to prevent rust. It works great.

I normally just hit it real well with a wire brush. I then hose it down and then wipe it down with a clean cloth.

Where exactly is the rust? On the screw? in the pan?

You can give those kinds of areas a treatment of food grade grease. The stuff really sticks right where you put it and is resistant to being washed off. I bought a tube of it at the wine supply shop and use it on areas of chipped paint on the press and crusher to prevent rust. It works great.

Good advice. I'm going to try it myself.

Latest posts

Back