Rule of thumb

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tickfawriver

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to this forum and wine making. I am planning on cranberry wine for my first batch and was thinking of using Ocean Spray 100% Cranberry juice. What would be a good rule of thumb for recipes using juices (not concentrate) and water, ajuice to water ratio and sugar required, should I use a sg reading to gauge the amount of sugar required?

Don't worry guys I will not unload a bunch of nube questions on you, I will be reading past posts and searching the web for the basics. What I am looking for here is a starting point on using juices available at the neiborhood groceries.

Thanks in advance...

If using juice, I would use 100% juice........ zip water. The juice has the water component in it already. I also would add some raisins or white Welches grape concentrate for a better body and vinosity.

I'm about to put a cranberry made from dried cranberries into the secondary. It smells wonderful!

Stevo

Well, my advice, although somewhat unorthodox:

Use a lot of juice (if needed, concentrate), get a hydrometer, and make sure the SG is at least 1.080 at the beginning. You need campden tablets, yeast nutrient, yeast energizer, yeast (preferably Montrachet or Lalvin 72B-1122). You'll need sugar if your SG is not at 1.080. You can get that at any dollar store or wherever.

I would also suggest maybe acid blend, but since you are doing cranberries, which are pretty acidic in itself, it's probably feasable just using the juice.

George has some great starter packages for you, and could modify just about anything to suit your needs. As far as equipment goes: you'll need at least an airlock,two 1-gallon Carlo-Rossi jugs (get the wine at the grocery store), a bung (rubber stopper) with a #6 size, a "racking" tube to siphon the wine from one jug to another, and something called one-step (to sanitize your equipment).

The hydrometer is the most important of them all, in my opinion.

And get yourself the CJJ Berry book that George has on his "specials" this month. Read it a couple of times (don't worry - easy reading) and then you're set, in my opinion. We're here to help you every step of the way.

Again, my advice is probably pretty unorthodox for most, but I think this is enough to get your first gallon started.

Martina

Thanks for the sugestions, reference links and book, I do tend to study things to death before I jump in.

I have a kitto start withbut it isabout 7 yrs oldand the additives had to be thrown out due to humidity getting to them plus I do not want to waiste my time and efforts onquestionable additives.

OK Med., from your reply I feel that I am on the right track in obtaining a good starting point as for as using juices and starting with the right sugar content.

Thanks guys, I will be lurking and learning for a while...

Martina,

What great, succinct post.

Tick,
You only need to know two things.

1. Your Hyrdrometer is God.
2. Cleanliness is next to Godliness

Peter

Tickfawriver, I don't really have anything to add to your post. Just was inquiring if you were a neighbor of mine. I live in Prairieville, La. Well, actually Galvez close to Port Vincent. Just was wondering if I had another wine maker in the area.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back