Row Orientation - terraced slope

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okree

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions on vineyard layout, specifically the southern (bottom)half of the property. Background: The entire tract is1480 ft long X 411 wide. Contour interval is shown5 ft. We plan to build a house near the center, where the ridge top flattens. From this spot down to the road is roughly 6% slope. Most of the soil profile is (well-drained) cherty silt loam with cherty red clay underneath. From what I can tell, air and water drainage should be good.

I had originally thought about running rows east to west across the ridge slope. That part of the land is well terraced, which at first, I thought was great. But since it's a horseshoe shaped slope, It seems like any way I cross the terraces, it will create areas where a 5ft wire\vine may be 4ft or 6ft from the gound. Thoughts?

20111013_184241_Land_3.JPG

Can you run North / South so that both sides of the trellis get sun?
Looks like a fairly even slope for that. Your trellis should be able to follow theslopewithout any problem. I recommend you go look at some vineyards and how they have done it before you finalize you plans.
I think you have a great orientation on that slope for what you want to do.

Thanks. I think the north\south layout will probably be the best.

tractor activity will be important to consider...tipping over and spray coverage are two items to think about......when your tractor rides along you want to make sure the nozzles are hitting vines and not air on one side and dirt on another so adjustable booms may be needed.....if you follow the contour, look for shading issues and consider slightly widening the space between the rows to obtain more sunlight

will the spaces between the rows be ground covered or bare? so consider erosion issues

i am not sure if this is for you a homeowner or a future commercial app...if it was my home or business, i would weigh the battle between function and beauty , in the case of function, think health of the vines first...your ability to properly care a close second and third would be visibility to your audience....if a business venture then you want...want want customers to see purty purty purty straight rows.....if its a home then you need to think about your own visibility to the street so that neighbors can watch your house for safety reasons

consider all those...but if its a business venture then think money money money...and get those rows perpendicular to the street

Latest posts

Back