RJ Spagnols RJS EN PRIMEUR - WINEMAKER'S TRIO WHITE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matsgone

Junior
Reaction score
Good day,

I will be starting said kit in a few weeks. I am concerned with the sweetener blend pouch......should I add it? I have read some negative aspect of back sweetening wine.....? Any inputs?

Also my reason for asking is that I currently have a RJS CRU INTERNATIONAL MERITAGE RED that came with the same sweetener blend which concerned me even more.....

Am I just an overconcernerer?

Am I just an overconcernerer?
Nope -- you're asking questions BEFORE you start ... which is the best time to do it!

We get a fair number of questions regarding a wine a beginner has in production, something they got from DIY / Mother Earth / I'm-clueless-but-don't-know-it-and-am-happy-to-share video or blog. It's a lot easier to get someone on a good path rather than to fix problems.

The benefit of WMT is that you're getting the collective experience of dozens of winemakers, and you'll get explanations of why things should be done. Sure, we disagree on things, but that's ok, as most questions in winemaking have more than 1 valid answer.

I believe your question has been answered in your other thread.

Nope -- you're asking questions BEFORE you start ... which is the best time to do it!

We get a fair number of questions regarding a wine a beginner has in production, something they got from DIY / Mother Earth / I'm-clueless-but-don't-know-it-and-am-happy-to-share video or blog. It's a lot easier to get someone on a good path rather than to fix problems.

The benefit of WMT is that you're getting the collective experience of dozens of winemakers, and you'll get explanations of why things should be done. Sure, we disagree on things, but that's ok, as most questions in winemaking have more than 1 valid answer.

I believe your question has been answered in your other thread.
Well, yes and no, I will do a taste test before I add any sweetener but then most people seem to think not using it is the way to go...

Then after spending time searching on this veryinteresting forum of yours, I found that the sweetener blend pouches in both of my kits were supposed to be labeled and come with special instructions, which was not the case. I got two clear pouches without any markings and without special instructions (see attached pictures). I guess its just up to me to test and taste but any other inputs from anybody else would be appreciated. Better learn from others mistakes than repeat them....

Attachments

• IMG_3574.jpg
    IMG_3574.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3575.jpg
    IMG_3575.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 15
Well, yes and no, I will do a taste test before I add any sweetener but then most people seem to think not using it is the way to go...

Then after spending time searching on this very interesting forum of yours, I found that the sweetener blend pouches in both of my kits were supposed to be labeled and come with special instructions, which was not the case. I got two clear pouches without any markings and without special instructions (see attached pictures). I guess its just up to me to test and taste but any other inputs from anybody else would be appreciated. Better learn from others mistakes than repeat them....
My Meritage is in the pre-bottling stage right now. I decided to include the sweetener pack but didn't add any glycerin. In fact, I don't remember the optional instructions that you posted but I found it interesting. I did a couple other tweaks to it like oak but don't remember the details off hand.
Also, I've done the RJS Trio White twice and both times included the little packet/sweetener. Doesn't taste sweet at all to us, but is very tasty. :D

Taste is a very personal thing, so be cautious of accepting blanket instructions regarding sweetening. This is why I recommend bench testing, as each wine is different and you may be surprised at what a small amount of sugar does (or not). As long as you are pleased, mission accomplished!

Also, I've done the RJS Trio White twice and both times included the little packet/sweetener. Doesn't taste sweet at all to us, but is very tasty.
Adding 125 ml to 23 liters is not a lot of backsweetening, and it's not a surprise that it enhances the flavor.

Back