RJ Spagnols RJ Spagnols pecking order

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheepdog

Junior
Reaction score
Greetings All,
I'm not familiar with the RJ Spagnols line of kits. Can someone please explain the quality pecking order of the kits, i.e. Cru, Cellar Classic, etc.? I cannot tell which are the higher end kits.
Thank you,
Tom

Top end are En Primeur and Cellar Classic Winery Series.

Then Cru Select before Cellar Classic. Not sure where Premier Cru fits exactly.

Steve

As Steve says, the En Primeur and Winery Series are the top of line - the En Primeur are 18 liters of juice/juice concentrate and most of the reds have a dried grapeskin pack. The Winery Series are reds only (no whites) and are 16 liters with a 2 liter wet grapeskin pack (like jam). Next are the Cru Select which are 16 liters and a few of the reds have a dried grapeskin pack. Then the Cellar Classic kits which are 15 liters and I don't think they have grapeskins. After that are the Grand Cru International kits which are 12 liters and most of the reds have a dried grapeskin pack. Then the Grand Cru which are 10 liters and no grapeskins. The Premier Cru is probably between the International and Cru Select but, as Steve says, is hard to place in the pecking order.
In addition to the regular offerings they have some limited release kits called Restricted Quantity (RQ) which are the same as the Cru Select line, except the juice is from sources not normally available and usually better quality. There are also the HIghtail kits which are in the En Primeur line and very restricted. These restricted kits are normally preordered this time of year.
Check out the Spagnols website for a full description of these.

They also have the Vino Del Vida line which is a 4 week kit.
The original poster seems to be interested in high end kits. That's why I didn't mention VdeV or Grand Cru or Heritage Estates or Cellar Master.

There is also Glad Hatter which I suspect it is similar to Grand Cru.

Steve

Thank you all for your feedback. Found out that my local supply store can order RJ Spagnols, while they normally carry just Winexpert due to space limitations.
I plan to order the Meritage and Carmenere.
Cheers,
Tom

Not what I would call high quality, but RJS also carries a full line of good, sweet summer wines (mist kits) called Orchard Breezin' kits.

On a side note, I was just able to order a Hightail EP Syrah through a store in Edmonton. So if anyone else was curious about these the suppliers do still have some available. $159 was the price and if its half as good as my EP Australian Shiraz is turning out then that's a bargain IMO.

On a side note, I was just able to order a Hightail EP Syrah through a store in Edmonton. So if anyone else was curious about these the suppliers do still have some available. $159 was the price and if its half as good as my EP Australian Shiraz is turning out then that's a bargain IMO.
In the past, the Hightail kits have only been available in Canada. They are definitely top of the line, but have not come with grape skins.

Steve
(Wade please don't yell at me, I deliberately didn't mention them :hug).

If Premier is the bucket (I forget) then its not great.
Spagnols has had two buckets...Bolero (perhaps Grand Cru quality), and Premier Cru. I have not made a Premier Cru, but have read that it is pretty good. Probably better than Grand Cru but not as good as Cru Select.

Steve

Yeah, I think your right in that it was the Bolero that was crap at least it was what I heard from many people.

Has anyone bottled one of these kits I have the RJ Spagnols Cru Select RQ 2014 Collection Australia Semillon Sauvignon Blanc almost ready and was just wondering

Copied from this page... http://www.rjscraftwinemaking.com/

brand
RQ2014 (5)
Hightail (2)
En Primeur (14)
Cellar Classic Winery Series (19)
Cru Select (25)
Cru Specialty (9)
Cellar Classic (25)
Grand Cru International (22)
Grand Cru (25)
Top Hat (4)
Glad Hatter (11)
Vino del Vida World Tour (8)
Vino del Vida (17)
Orchard Breezin' (20)
Lounge (5)
Heritage Estates (17)
Cellar Master (19)
Premier Cru (11)
Vinoka - Ciders (7)
Vinoka - Coolers (8)

Has anyone bottled one of these kits I have the RJ Spagnols Cru Select RQ 2014 Collection Australia Semillon Sauvignon Blanc almost ready and was just wondering
gizmo:

Did you have specific questions? I've bottled many an RJS kit, but not the one you're asking about.

Steve

gizmo:

Did you have specific questions? I've bottled many an RJS kit, but not the one you're asking about.

Steve

1) Taste of the kit? 2)This is the first kit I have ever done where there was no secondary fermentation in the carboy is this normal for there kits? 3) It says to wait till day 42 to bottle I'm at day 35 and is clear and I'm going to filter it with Buon Vino. Would it be ok to go ahead and bottle?

1) Taste of the kit? 2)This is the first kit I have ever done where there was no secondary fermentation in the carboy is this normal for there kits? 3) It says to wait till day 42 to bottle I'm at day 35 and is clear and I'm going to filter it with Buon Vino. Would it be ok to go ahead and bottle?

1) Isn't Semillon Sauv Blanc a White Bordeaux? Sorry no idea, what description did RJS provide?

2) I believe that 14 days in primary is standard for RJS brands that do not include a grape pack in their reds.

3) OK yeah. But patience is a winemaker's best friend. Personally I'd wait at least a couple more months.

Steve

Australia Semillon Sauvignon Blanc

With a wonderfully textured and rounded mouth feel, flavours of pink grapefruit, dried herbs, citrus, and a touch of tropical fruit gives every sip a generousity of flavour. 2) This is a white though. Going to draw a taste test today :) 3) I have a Winexperts Australian Cabernet Sauvignon that needs to be rack again Wednesday and a grand cru pinot gris that has to be rack next weekend and don't have another carboy or primary bucket :(

1) Isn't Semillon Sauv Blanc a White Bordeaux? Sorry no idea, what description did RJS provide?

2) I believe that 14 days in primary is standard for RJS brands that do not include a grape pack in their reds.

3) OK yeah. But patience is a winemaker's best friend. Personally I'd wait at least a couple more months.

Steve

my only experience is at a winery in Napa called Alpha Omega. I simply cannot drink Sav Blanc, even in the hot summer sun.

That being said, they had a Sav Blanc there that I tasted that I think had about 20% Semillon in it, and it made it drinkable for me.

Ok I bottled the Australia Semillon Sauvignon Blanc it has different taste with the grapefruit flavor its good now I think it will get better with age

Latest posts

Back