WineXpert Riesling Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dark_ale

Junior
Reaction score
I recently purchased a kit and the juice bag had sediment in it and did'nt quite smell right although the juice tasted fine. The juice was also a little brown. It smelled more like a raisins raither than a good fresh grape juice, but that may be normal since grapes come from raisins. This is my second time to do this same kit and I dont remember my first kit looking or smelling like this. The sticker on the box indicates that its not old. Just looking for other opinions. Should Riesling juice be brown?

dark_ale said:
I recently purchased a kit and the juice bag had sediment in it and did'nt quite smell right although the juice tasted fine. The juice was also a little brown. It smelled more like a raisins raither than a good fresh grape juice, but that may be normal since grapes come from raisins. This is my second time to do this same kit and I dont remember my first kit looking or smelling like this. The sticker on the box indicates that its not old. Just looking for other opinions. Should Riesling juice be brown?

Yes, it will have a brown/cloudy color to it. The off smell concerns me. Call your LHBS or the manufacturer before you go any further.

If the kit were old, it would be suspect. The darker color is not necessary a problem. You're looking at undiluted juice/concentrate. Just about all of the white wine kits I've made looked darker than one would initially expect. The sediment in the bag is also not necessarily an issue. As far as the smell is concerned, that could be normal for that particular kit. I made a Viognier kit once that could be described as smelling like apples and honey prefermentation. The same could not be said for the Chardonnay kit I did afterwards.

I would contact the manufacturer for peace of mind, but it could very well be okay.

I'd contact wineXpert and give them the same symptoms. They will treat you fairly.

After contacting WineXpert they reviewed my pictures and said everything should be fine. Color was normal, and the brown residue was normal. They were nice and very helpful. It's mixed up and fermenting, the fermentation smells normal and everything looks good. I will know for sure in a few weeks when I begin to add finings, degas, polish, and taste.
Thanks for all the replies!

I made the WE Vinters Reserve Angel Blanco and the juice before I fermented was really brown and it alarmed me. Once the wine was fermented and cleared it turned out to be a real nice golden color. No worries.
I have considered making the World Vineyard Riesling. Keep us posted on how you like it.

After contacting WineXpert they reviewed my pictures and said everything should be fine. Color was normal, and the brown residue was normal. They were nice and very helpful. It's mixed up and fermenting, the fermentation smells normal and everything looks good. I will know for sure in a few weeks when I begin to add finings, degas, polish, and taste.
Thanks for all the replies!

When you do finally taste it, keep in mind that if you taste it right around clearing time, the wine will still be very young. Young wine will taste green (tart), just like fruit that has not yet ripened. So don't be too hard on the wine until it gets a few months aging behind it.

I have considered making the World Vineyard Riesling. Keep us posted on how you like it.[/QUOTE said:
I made it last year and it is one of my favorites. I prefer it over their higher end Riesling kit with an F pack because I prefer a bone dry Riesling. My only complaint was it was a tad too light for my taste. But I bought 2 more kits recently so I guess it is only a minor complaint.

I made it last year and it is one of my favorites. I prefer it over their higher end Riesling kit with an F pack because I prefer a bone dry Riesling. My only complaint was it was a tad too light for my taste. But I bought 2 more kits recently so I guess it is only a minor complaint.

You could always not include the F-pack or add it upfront during primary fermentation.

This is my second time to make it and its one of my favorites as well. Its well balanced and not to sweet or to dry, All my friends like it also.

So an F pack is nothing more than additional juice?
It depends on the kit. In general, an F-pack is included with a kit because the wine is fermented to dry and then sweetened with the F-pack after fermentation is complete. Depending on the kit, the F-pack could be...
  1. all juice or juice/concentrate (aka Suss Reserve) - usually only the high end whites
  2. concentrate or concentrate/liquid invert sugar or liquid invert sugar - middle of the road kits
  3. flavouring and liquid invert sugar - mist wines
Steve

Latest posts

Back