WineXpert Riesling ice wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dice

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everybody I'am new to the form and I have read alot of very useful information on this site. I have a problem with the riesling ice wine not starting and I belive it is from having too much sugars. The s g reading is off my scale so I don't know what the true s g is. I sure could use some help. Thanks

Welcome Dice....Sorry I can't answer....I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you out with your question.

Welcome Dice. I made a Riesling ice wine kit once, one of my first kits that I did. I misread the instructions when I did mine and added "gallons" of water were they said to add Gallons but didn't read "Imperial Gallons" till I go to step 2 or 3. I don't know if this is your problem or not. Did you check the date code on the box to make sure your yeast wasn't old.

I would contact WineExpert and ask them, they are very responsive and if you have done everything that the instructions tell you to do, perhaps they will send you a replacement lit if you can't get it going.

The Ice Wine has an f-pack with it to be added after fermantation...You didn't happen to add that in too???? I have done one Ice Wine , if I remember right starting SG was about 1.140...I think...

If you get another yeast pack you can make up a starter. Make up a solution of a cup of water and a cup of the juice in a sanitized bottle. That will get the SG down temporarily. As the fermentation starts, begin adding more of the juice a half cup at a time. (raising the SG. Once the yeast is active (say after 3 or 4 iterations of that) it can probably be pitched in the primary.

Thank everybody for the helpful infomation. This is a great place to get this kind of help. I will check my notes to see where I went wrong.

Latest posts

Back