residue *after* clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZippoGeek

Junior
Reaction score
Good morning all! My WineXpert Peach-Apricot Chardonnay is almost ready to bottle (this Friday). It looks nice and clear. However, there's still a significant amount of what appears to be yeast product at the bottom of my carboy (it's white). What am I supposed to do about this? Filtration? I don't want to suck that stuff up into my bottles...

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Rack into another carboy. Leave the sediment in the first carboy. You can probably pour what is left into a jar or bottle and let sit in the reefer. After a few days or a week or so, carefully pour the clear off the lees in the bottom. If too many lees come with the clear, back into the refrigerator. Good luck with it, Arne.

What Arne above said...

I've gotten into the habit of [and RJS instructions say to] rack into a primary bucket and bottle from there. Often, but not always, even after several rackings before getting to the bottling stage there is a fine white "dusting" left in the carboy. I've not yet had any heavy sediment off which I had to rack at bottling time.

Last edited:
Yes I agree with both of the above posts. Do not disturb the sediment on the bottom and rack to a clean bucket and bottle from there. My first batch of wine I made had the sediment in the bottom before bottling. I made the mistake of bottling anyway and had a little bit of sediment in my bottles.

On re-reading your original post you write about a "significant amount" of sediment. It might make sense to rack to a fresh carboy but not immediately bottle. Maybe wait a few weeks to see if anymore sediment drops out?

On re-reading your original post you write about a "significant amount" of sediment. It might make sense to rack to a fresh carboy but not immediately bottle. Maybe wait a few weeks to see if anymore sediment drops out?

Thanks!! It's significant to the point that it's noticeable; but it's not like there's sludge on the bottom...

Thanks!! It's significant to the point that it's noticeable; but it's not like there's sludge on the bottom...

Well...if the wine isn't completely clear and is still dropping sediment, I would consider waiting. Best bet is to rack to a clean container and see if anymore sediment drops out.

I know by the title that this is "after" clearing, and I know the kit probably had you add bentonite during primary fermentation, but have you given any thought to adding SuperKleer? If you are in a hurry, that might help clear it. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Latest posts

Back