Request for Grape ID

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okree

Reaction score
I Picked about 40 lbs of grapes at my parents place in Cullman, AL. My grandpa planted the oldest of the vinesjust over 50 years ago. Before that, the vineshad been on anotherhome-placein the area for at least 20 to 30 years. The locals call them "pink grapes".

Cullmanwassettled by German immigrants and from the 1870's through 1909, was well know for its vineyards and wine production. I'd really like these grapes to be a relic of Cullman winemaking, maybe some German variety like Gewurztraminer. The color seems about right but the leaves look different. Another thing I should mention is the aroma.... absolutely intoxicating...spicy, wild, and strong.Not necessarily likemuscadine but similar in intensity. Any ideas? I plan to start the crush this week, and I'm curious if I need to bend the recipe toward a real wine grape or towarda native wild grape.

20100808_204635_grapes_2.JPG

20100808_204919_grapes_1.JPG

20100808_204754_grapes_3.JPG

i cannot help on the id....sorry..not my expertise...but if you wish to move forward..get a spray program going...you got some issues there that could explode if the conditions are right

Latest posts

Back