Refractometer with ATC

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not quite sure why yet but after reading about Refractometer's I've been thinking about buying one. I have been looking at quite a few on line and they seem to cost either 49.00 or 80 some dollars. They both look exactly the same and have the same specs. Can anyone please explain to me why the big difference, it was more then one site selling them at both of these prices. Second question: I do not plan on pressing any of my own fruit but I do buy juice at wineries, is this something I will use or should have?

If the juice you buy has numbers for it when you purchase, the refractrometer isn't necessary. You can accomplish the same thing with the hydrometer it just takes more juice for the sample. With grapes it is easy to use the refrac because you can sample inividual grapes with just a drop of juice. I use it all the time to monitor grape progress in the vineyard. If you buy juice, that work has already been done.

I agree with Appleman.

If you do decide to buy one, you might want to keep an eye on ebay.

Thanks Appleman, I did noticeEbay wasrather reasonable. Still trying to figure out if there really is any difference between the ones that are priced so differently and how you can tell the difference. Or are they same, just different prices?

you might consider a ph meter and an acid test kit in place of spending the $$$ on the refractometer based on your needs and essentially for the same number of dollars

Back