Refractometer to monitor fermentation question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalker1140

Reaction score
I just finished monitoring fermentation of a wine kit using a refractometer for the first time. I used the MoreWine spreadsheet and I definitely prefer this approach to using a hydrometer.

That said, I noticed something odd and wanted to see if anyone has experienced something similar and can offer an explanation. When I took the initial reading, before pitching the yeast, the line in the refractometer was very sharp. As fermentation progressed it got increasingly fuzzy, about the width of one degree. Today is day 17 and as I went to stabilize I took another reading and the line was perfectly sharp again, like on day one.

I originally assumed the fuzziness was caused by the increasing level of alcohol but now I think it must have been the yeast or CO2 or something else. Does anyone know how to prepare a sample during active ferment that will make for a sharp reading?

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:
Jason I also monitor with a refractometer and the same spreadsheet as you. I am using a digital refractometer though so I can not help you on your blurry line reading. I find using the refractometer a more accrurate way of getting the sg (with the spreadsheet) and quicker. With the spreadsheet you have all your notes stored right on the computer stored away.

If Lurker pops in here he'll be able to answer that question as he uses the same process as you and I.

Did I mention I still cannot get away from the hydrometer. I still double check with the hydrometer 90% of the time just out of habbit.

Where could I get a copy of that spread sheet?

Rob go to this page Which has a ton of great manuals. Towards the end of the page is a link "MoreWine! Refractometer Spreadsheet" to click on. I have found it to be very accurate from start to finish of the wine.

Last edited:
Rob this is a quick (not perfect video) of the refractometer I use from Hanna I got on Amazon. It shows how to use it, the spreadsheet and how the reading compares to the hydrometer.

Latest posts

Back