Reduce Sparkolloid dose for small batches?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambassador

Junior
Reaction score
Getting ready to add some Sparkolloid to a batch of strawberry wine. Directions say 1 tbsp missed with 1 cup of water to treat 6 gallons. I probably only have 4.5 gallons. Is it important that I reduce the dose or should I still mix "full strength?"

For 4.5 I would just add the recommended dose. I used to cut it down when applying to 1-2gal. batches.

If you have never used it, see how you like it. A lot of us on here have switched from Sparklloid to SuperKleer. Sparklloid has a tendency to leave "whispies" behind. Your wine looks crystal clear, then in a few weeks these appear. SuperKleer compacts the lees much better.

For 4.5 I would just add the recommended dose. I used to cut it down when applying to 1-2gal. batches.

If you have never used it, see how you like it. A lot of us on here have switched from Sparklloid to SuperKleer. Sparklloid has a tendency to leave "whispies" behind. Your wine looks crystal clear, then in a few weeks these appear. SuperKleer compacts the lees much better.

Looks like I was a bit generous with my first assessment. I've only got about 3.5 gallons it appears. Should I cut it back by a third?

I've looked at SuperKleer but my wife has a pretty severe fish allergy. Not sure I would want to risk it.

Me personally, I would just use it all for that amount. It won't hurt anything. Just give it a couple of weeks to settle. It should get pretty clear within a few days. But letting it sit longer will help some with those "whispies".

Latest posts

Back