red wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vulture

Junior
Reaction score
I have a red dry wine that is done fermenting .996 and i have not added anything to it . i have racked it over twice . it is done fermenting it tastes good what should i do with it now . it was started april-5 2009 . can i put oak chips in it . will the chips help . i have only put red grape juice sugar and yeast in it . now what should i do .

Oak will 'help' if you like oaked wines...what variety of juice was it? And if you only put in juice, sugar and yeast, you might now want to dose it with some campden or k-meta to protect it from oxidation now that the active ferment is over.

However, a really dry red could go lower than 0.996. How long has it been at 0.996? You can check it again in a couple days (2 days) and if it's still at 0.996 it may well be done. Then I would personally add the camden/k-meta, and I like oak, so I would put some oak chips in myself.

What size is the batch? Is it clear yet?

We need more info like mfg and which kit you have.

Kits usually add oak to their ingredients. Have you followed the kit directions and adding all the chemicals given?

This doesn't sound like a kit Tepe. Vulture says they used red grape juice, not a kit. Like pelican, I would add k-meta or campden at the rate of 1/4 teaspoon per 5-6 gallons or if it is just a gallon or two, then use one campden per gallon. Oak could have gone in before now, but can be added now and left in for 3-4 weeks. Once it is clear after removing the oak, then bottle (if it is more than 1-2 months more, then more campden or k-meta should be added).

Yea Appleman I saw that he added juice I just wasnt sure if he added it later or what he used in making it.

So, was this a all juice? Grapes?

Latest posts

Back