Recently completed backyard vineyard in NW Washington

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8rx7guy

Reaction score
I just wanted to quick share a photo of our recently completed vineyard in NW Washington. It was a lot more work than expected, but we are very happy with the results! The vines were planted back in April, they are 50 Regent vines. Row spacing is 8', vine spacing is 6'. Cordon wire is at 30", followed by a double wire 12" higher, followed by two single lines at 12" between each. We are planning on growing the vines VSP and using the spur pruning method.

We just installed the irrigation system this past weekend because my mother-in-law was getting tired of watering every other morning... we were not expecting such a dry summer! We are very excited to start making some wine!

20160803_073522.jpg

Very nice! Now a bit of sun would also be nice.

Last edited:
What I do is to hang a sweaty shirt on a fence or something else to get it about 4-5' off the ground. I change it out every other day and move it around a little, works great at keeping them at bay.

Pat

Until you can get a fence up, get a motion sensor yard light and hook it to a radio. Turn it up loud and a talk show seems to work best here.

It was a lot more work than expected, but we are very happy with the results!

It's always more work than expected, and always worth it!

Latest posts

Back