ReaLemon 32 ouncers scarce here!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswordy

Reaction score
Wow - been to 2 Wally Worlds and a Kroger, no ReaLemon 32-ouncers to be had! Kroger isn't even stocking the brand. We drink a lot of lemonade, and noticed WM went to the 15-ounce size ($1.98 each here, and not even half the 32 size).

Gotta hit some mom and pop grocery stores on the way home. I'm looking to make Skeeter Pee out of my next batch of lees, and from my lemonade experience, I know that store brand does NOT equal ReaLemon. Not even close.

Heck, at these prices, I might start juicing the fruit! Or maybe get Amazon to ship me a case. Hmmm...

Can you find these where you're at?

UNDER EDIT: Heck yes! Amazon, 12 32-ouncers at $2.81 a bottle with FREE DELIVERY! Click go my keys! Done deal.

Last edited:
You most likely will have to hit the bigger stores. GFS and WalMart carry them here. Some places have various sizes so you would have to adjust the recipe or measure out different amounts.

Wal-Mart doesn't stock them in 32s here. 15 ounces only, and $1.98 each for those. We do have Publix but they are among the highest priced stores around.

Anyway, I am happy with my Amazon buy at $2.81/bottle, zero sales tax, free shipping. 12 bottles should keep me awhile but I should have just bought 2 cases. Oh well. Waiting for the truck.

Speaking of Wal-Mart, the one in the small town where I live has Welch's Concord or White Grape frozen concentrate at $1.97/can. The Wal-Mart in the city where I work has it for $1.64. LOL ... get this! At Kroger, it is $2.25! It used to go on sale, but hardly ever if at all anymore around here.

Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Juice? :?

Ain't never heerd of that one! Hmmm...

I've noticed that lemon juice is slowly creeping up in price. Not sure if it is due to:
1) a weaker dollar/continual government printing of currency/inflation/raising fuel prices
2) shorter supply due to grower reductions or mother nature
3) greater demand from all you crazy Skeeter Pee makers

I've noticed that lemon juice is slowly creeping up in price. Not sure if it is due to:
1) a weaker dollar/continual government printing of currency/inflation/raising fuel prices
2) shorter supply due to grower reductions or mother nature
3) greater demand from all you crazy Skeeter Pee makers

Everything is going up. My wife bought a nice treadmill in 2010, cost $999. I saw the same item today and it is $1,299. If you watch prices like I do, you can see quite a rapid march uphill.

Why is name brand juice better?

I have been using whatever I find. Real Lemon and various store brands. I don't understand how the name brand is better when all we are doing is using it for a little lemon kick. When I back sweeten with bottled or frozen juice, I also add a little lemon juice to make it "just right" so I am confused as to why it matters which is used in fermentation.

I have been using whatever I find. Real Lemon and various store brands. I don't understand how the name brand is better when all we are doing is using it for a little lemon kick. When I back sweeten with bottled or frozen juice, I also add a little lemon juice to make it "just right" so I am confused as to why it matters which is used in fermentation.

Well, I am a lemonade lover. I drink at least 24 ounces of it almost every day. ReaLemon beats any store brand I have ever had. There may be a brand out there that is better, but I haven't found it, and there's a reason ReaLemon is a national brand.

The store brands seem to rely more on the zest for the lemon flavor. They lack the clarity and non-solids juice content of ReaLemon. So the resulting flavor in lemonade is completely different, less complex and more sharply acid.

Maybe to some people it doesn't make a difference, just like some people will eat a select steak and say it is just as good as choice. (I'm not one of those, either.) :> But when I'm sticking my money into a bucket, I want to be as sure as I can that it turns out right for my tastes.

When I've used lemon juice in back-flavoring, I also prefer the ReaLemon to store brands because of its clarity. I switched to citric acid quite a while ago, though, because it is so cheap and there are no clarity issues.

These are my opinions and as always your mileage may vary. (YMMV). :h

Do you have any friends that are? My store has 2-48 oz. botles of "Real Lemon" for $5.68.

Hey-hey, this thread is looking up! :D

I'll have my Costco friend check it out. But if my case ever arrives, I think I'll be good for awhile.

Well, I am a lemonade lover. I drink at least 24 ounces of it almost every day. ReaLemon beats any store brand I have ever had. There may be a brand out there that is better, but I haven't found it, and there's a reason ReaLemon is a national brand.

The store brands seem to rely more on the zest for the lemon flavor. They lack the clarity and non-solids juice content of ReaLemon. So the resulting flavor in lemonade is completely different, less complex and more sharply acid.

Maybe to some people it doesn't make a difference, just like some people will eat a select steak and say it is just as good as choice. (I'm not one of those, either.) :> But when I'm sticking my money into a bucket, I want to be as sure as I can that it turns out right for my tastes.

When I've used lemon juice in back-flavoring, I also prefer the ReaLemon to store brands because of its clarity. I switched to citric acid quite a while ago, though, because it is so cheap and there are no clarity issues.

These are my opinions and as always your mileage may vary. (YMMV). :h

Thanks for explaining this. I will switch to RealLemon for future SP.

Same rational as why I use the Welchs or Old Orchard frozen concentrates over the Aldi brand which is made in China.

I noticed at the grocery store in the frozen juice concentrate section up on the top shelf where nobody looks there are small boxes of frozen Real Lemon Juice without the preservatives. Inside the box is a small bottle of juice. I guess the idea is to thaw the bottle before use.

i used a generic brand once with good results as usual. just make sure it's the 100% juice type because most of the knockoffs have
other ingredients and are not all juice.

Is it okay to have all of the preservatives in the real lemon. I just started a batch of pee and just noticed all the preservatives and now I'm worried that I just ruined my juice ( wine). Will it still ferment? I only added 48 oz.

Is it okay to have all of the preservatives in the real lemon. I just started a batch of pee and just noticed all the preservatives and now I'm worried that I just ruined my juice ( wine). Will it still ferment? I only added 48 oz.

Yes. Bottled Real Lemon juice has preservatives. The SP instructions take into account the preservatives. I whip air into the lemon juice and let it sit in an open primary for a couple days to minimize the preservatives. Using a good starter from the left over primary of a racked wine has enough umph to get your SP going if you follow Lon's directions. Danger Dave's way works good too.

Back