"Re-sizing A Bung"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maui Joe

Reaction score
Having a bung on hand that does not fit, it's too large? I have a few on hand being that I ordered the wrong size or the size that would of fit was not available.

I ran a threaded bolt with a washer on both sides of the bung and secured it with a nut. You'll need a bolt long enough to fit into the chuck of a drill whether a "bench-top or hand drill." I prefera hand drillbeing that you're above the work.

I use a "rasp file" and a peace of sand paper on a small block of wood comfortable in your hand. Follow the angle of the bung and slowly apply pressure. The bung will shave down nicely and there you have it! (One word of CAUTION!) Be sure that you are filing on the "downward side" of the drill rotation to avoid debris and tool injury!) Now go do the right thing and order extras!
smiley36.gif

Save your K-Meta solution in the next carboy you plan on using or racking into. Make sure it is clean first, and put a bung in it. Store it somewhere dark and cool. When it comes time to rack into it, all ya gotta do is shake it real good or roll it on the floor, then pour the K-Meta into another carboy or your sink or tub full of winemaking stuff.

Discard the solution when it is dirty or when it no longer burns your nose.

smiley20.gif

Thats a good idea. I have always tried doing it by hand on an electric grinder.

Chris

Is Easy Clean the same as K-Meta if so I dident mix it strong enough it smells but no burn.

I never heard of 'Easy Clean', but potassium metabisulphite is more of a sanitizer than a cleaner, and really should be part of your sanitation routine.

THen I would just say read the instructions. You can't go wrong by reading the instructions. Hahhaa, I should talk, but in this case, it's a good thing.

Yes I always read the instructions then I usually question the instructions LOL
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back